Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke v. St. John's v. Cardozo  (Read 1853 times)

zibbs

• View Profile
Re: Duke v. St. John's v. Cardozo
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:10:01 PM »
Thanks for the comments all.  As an update, full scholarship at Vandy.  Any opinions on this development?  And a hypothetical for good measure.  Say Duke gives me some money, does this cast a long dark shadow on Cardozo?  Also, why so negative towards St. John's?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 09:14:45 PM »
St. John's really isn't worth your time if you're talking about Duke or a fullride at Cardozo.  It's job placement is really that much worse from what I undertstand, not to mention its in Queens. 

I'm also not so sure that Duke is a no-brainer.  Free is free.  I can only imagine what it would be like to graduate without 100k in debt, wowie zowie!  I'd say you should only pay for Duke if you're dead-set on BigLaw, but i've also heard that most of those guys are miserable...

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:35:14 PM »
You're back! The disapproving, condescending grandpa I never had.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:55:52 PM »
Go to Duke and don't ever look back.  Durnham is not NYC but that's good for studying.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 10:58:02 PM »
BigLaw is slightly overblown on this board.  I've spoken with a few BigLaw lawyers at this point -- including the older brother of a friend who works as a paralegal at a very recognizable firm -- and they say that you can bear it for a few years.

Like with every profession, you will find people who dislike it, vehemently loathe it, and some that don't mind it.  But I don't think it's anything that you can't handle for a few years, regardless of who you are.

Moreover, I am vociferously (yes, vociferously) opposed to the idea that you'll somehow have "opportunities" out of a lower-ranked school because you won't have debt.  Simply put, all of my research and anecdotal iniquiries indicates that's NOT the case.  Why do you think that there are so many unhappy T2 graduates?  Even if they were debt-free, which is part of their problem, some of these people would still struggle to find any employment, much less some "wonder" job that no debt magically allows them to take.  You could end up in Insurance Defense very easily, which won't be much fun even with no debt.  Sorry.  A lot of the "great," but modestly-paying, jobs will still be going to T14 graduates, who will be able to take them thanks to the generous LARP programs of schools like Columbia, Harvard, and Yale.

Do you want to be a lawyer?  "Suck it up and work like a female dog for the initial years.  It gets better when you have a good school on your resume and an actual reputation."  That's the best advice any actual attorney has given me.

Wow Wallace. You really let me down there.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 11:39:18 AM »
Wow, Vandy with full scholarship puts the decision to rest for me. Isn't that the best of both worlds? I know a few ppl at Vandy, and I am pending there. They all have amazing jobs when they graduate. Not at NYC Biglaw or public interest stuff, but legit international biglaw firms. One person I know is on a rotational program through various major cities of her choice. Pretty tough to beat a prospect like that.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

mason123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
Dozo = full ride, and marriage material significant other. These are two very influential things to consider. A woman that is marriage material should not be taken lightly at all. Quality individuals are very difficult to find. I find it rather upsetting that people are not putting more weight on the girlfriend factor. Think long and hard whether you envision meeting an individual like your current girlfriend in the future. Think long and hard whether or not it is worth to threaten your relationship.

I think that distance is the murderer of valuable relations. But that is just my two cents.
What do I know? I got a 152 on my LSAT.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »
Dozo = full ride, and marriage material significant other. These are two very influential things to consider. A woman that is marriage material should not be taken lightly at all. Quality individuals are very difficult to find. I find it rather upsetting that people are not putting more weight on the girlfriend factor. Think long and hard whether you envision meeting an individual like your current girlfriend in the future. Think long and hard whether or not it is worth to threaten your relationship.

I think that distance is the murderer of valuable relations. But that is just my two cents.
What do I know? I got a 152 on my LSAT.

That is an excellent point.  Not sure if your SO will want to live in Nashville, TN (Vandy) or Durham, NC (Duke), they are definitely night and day when compared to NYC. 

gophils215

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just need one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »
BigLaw is slightly overblown on this board.  I've spoken with a few BigLaw lawyers at this point -- including the older brother of a friend who works as a paralegal at a very recognizable firm -- and they say that you can bear it for a few years.

Like with every profession, you will find people who dislike it, vehemently loathe it, and some that don't mind it.  But I don't think it's anything that you can't handle for a few years, regardless of who you are.

Moreover, I am vociferously (yes, vociferously) opposed to the idea that you'll somehow have "opportunities" out of a lower-ranked school because you won't have debt.  Simply put, all of my research and anecdotal iniquiries indicates that's NOT the case.  Why do you think that there are so many unhappy T2 graduates?  Even if they were debt-free, which is part of their problem, some of these people would still struggle to find any employment, much less some "wonder" job that no debt magically allows them to take.  You could end up in Insurance Defense very easily, which won't be much fun even with no debt.  Sorry.  A lot of the "great," but modestly-paying, jobs will still be going to T14 graduates, who will be able to take them thanks to the generous LARP programs of schools like Columbia, Harvard, and Yale.

Do you want to be a lawyer?  "Suck it up and work like a female dog for the initial years.  It gets better when you have a good school on your resume and an actual reputation."  That's the best advice any actual attorney has given me.

Wow Wallace. You really let me down there.

I'm glad you quoted that and followed with that statement, because to say that there are no "opportunities" is ridiculous.  So I guess if I don't go to a T14 I should just not go to law school?  Ok.

To the OP, out of those, if you can afford it, put in seat deposits at Duke and Cardozo, and then ride out the waitlists at Columbia and Penn.  A free law school education would be tough to turn down.
Homerun:
Strikeout: BC, ASU, Hastings, UVA, Davis, W&M
3-2 Count: USF, Chapman
Batters' Box: Everywhere Else

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 12:28:33 AM »
if money is that big of a concern, go to Vandy.  from my experiences on this board, i'm almost 100% sure that the money at 'dozo and St. Johns are conditioned upon maintaining a certain gpa, and one can't be too sure about succeeding at that with the curve.
Columbia 3L