Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this obnoxious? Scholarship Q.  (Read 1224 times)

Just_Chexin

• View Profile
Re: Is this obnoxious? Scholarship Q.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
Are schools usually more or less open to negotiating? I got into the University of Miami and I REALLY want to go there, but the cost is astronomical.  I feel that I would be in-line for their merit based scholarship, but I only got accepted two weeks ago. Unfortunately, after emailing them and asking about scholarship opportunities I was told that they were out of funds.  That sucks - there isn't even any room for negotiating, so now I'm not sure what to do.  I'm wondering if students have better luck at other institutions or if all institutions "run out of funds" by now?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:46 PM »
Are schools usually more or less open to negotiating? I got into the University of Miami and I REALLY want to go there, but the cost is astronomical.  I feel that I would be in-line for their merit based scholarship, but I only got accepted two weeks ago. Unfortunately, after emailing them and asking about scholarship opportunities I was told that they were out of funds.  That sucks - there isn't even any room for negotiating, so now I'm not sure what to do.  I'm wondering if students have better luck at other institutions or if all institutions "run out of funds" by now?

It depends on each school.  Some schools are more willing to give out more money.  Others are not.

It is getting late in the cycle, and many schools probably are running out of funds. However, acceptance deadlines are approaching quickly, so more money may be opened up.  (However many schools bank on many people declining their offers, so it may not really be "opened up" for another person.)

Just_Chexin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
It depends on each school.  Some schools are more willing to give out more money.  Others are not.

It is getting late in the cycle, and many schools probably are running out of funds. However, acceptance deadlines are approaching quickly, so more money may be opened up.  (However many schools bank on many people declining their offers, so it may not really be "opened up" for another person.)

That's what I was afraid of. Originally I was hoping that students who were offered generous amounts of scholarship money but decided to decline the school's offer would put that money back into the "pool". But, I have suspected, as you said, that the school probably banks the money and doesn't pass it along to other qualified students who WOULD accept the money - which seems kinda cheap to me. Bleh.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »

That's what I was afraid of. Originally I was hoping that students who were offered generous amounts of scholarship money but decided to decline the school's offer would put that money back into the "pool". But, I have suspected, as you said, that the school probably banks the money and doesn't pass it along to other qualified students who WOULD accept the money - which seems kinda cheap to me. Bleh.

It is what it is.  Keep in mind that this is pure conjecture.  I could be right, or I could be wrong. 

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »
On the subject of obnoxious how about this-- ???

Two law schools in same market offered similar scholarships.  I'm leaning toward one school (also considering one in another part of the US) but figured that calling for more money couldn't hurt. Law School A said, we'll consider raising your award, but only if you withdraw your application from School B and send us a copy of that withdrawal letter as proof.(Didn't ask me to withdraw from the out of area school, just the local one)

Obnoxious? Hard sell? Are they somehow afraid of that second school?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 11:51:26 AM »

It is what it is.  Keep in mind that this is pure conjecture.  I could be right, or I could be wrong. 

It really depends on the school.  Some schools specifically told me to ask again once their deposit deadlines passed because they would have more scholarship money available at that time.  Others, I'm sure, pulled the stunt you just described.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »

Two law schools in same market offered similar scholarships.  I'm leaning toward one school (also considering one in another part of the US) but figured that calling for more money couldn't hurt. Law School A said, we'll consider raising your award, but only if you withdraw your application from School B and send us a copy of that withdrawal letter as proof.(Didn't ask me to withdraw from the out of area school, just the local one)

If I were you, I wouldn't withdraw from the other school unless they guaranteed you that they would raise their offer.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 12:51:38 PM »

No way, bad idea.  If you withdraw, and that is your intended market then they have you over a barrel.  What schools if you don't mind sharing?  Or which market?

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:12 PM »

If you decide that you're more than "leaning toward" that school, then get the offer in writing (even if it's just an email) including the amount of the increase (or at least a range).