Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Requesting increased scholarship (Who to email)  (Read 513 times)

ChangedMan

• View Profile
Requesting increased scholarship (Who to email)
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »
I'm planning on trying to get some more out of W & L against a full ride at Cardozo and lower requirements for Cardozo off W&L. I will be sending out the email tomorrow, I just don't know who it would be best to send it to. Director for Admissions? Assistant Director? Anyone who has done this have any suggestions as to who and perhaps the approach you used if successful?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting increased scholarship (Who to email)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
I've sent mine to the person who signed my acceptance letter.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
I strongly suggest a telephone call to the person who signed your acceptance letter. Only send an e-mail if you've already had e-mail exchanges with the admissions/scholarship folks. If you are truly telephone-adverse, a formal letter (as formal as your acceptance letter) is called for. Last year, I got an increase on a scholarship offer after telephoning the director and following it up with a nice letter memorializing what I expalined in the telephone call (with photocopies of comparable offers attached). They took two weeks to respond.

E-mails are great, fast, and convenient. But you won't stand out, and you'll especially linger in the in-box just as bold as the other 80 e-mails the director gets in a single day.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »
What are you worried about then if you like your other options? Anyway, its probably a yield protect, LOCI would probably get you off the WL.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
What are you worried about then if you like your other options? Anyway, its probably a yield protect, LOCI would probably get you off the WL.

Wrong thread. =)

summerlovin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:58:13 AM »
I had luck getting my scholarship offer increased by $15,000 by e-mailing the general admissions e-mail address for the school (I couldn't find the direct e-mail address for anyone in admissions.).  I e-mailed them a nice letter which included the total amounts of the scholarship offers I had received at other schools and detailed several reasons why I wished to attend school X. 

At another school where I hadn't received a scholarship offer initially, I e-mailed the person who had sent me my admissions letter.  This school ended up offering me a sizable scholarship. 

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »
I had luck getting my scholarship offer increased by $15,000 by e-mailing the general admissions e-mail address for the school (I couldn't find the direct e-mail address for anyone in admissions.).  I e-mailed them a nice letter which included the total amounts of the scholarship offers I had received at other schools and detailed several reasons why I wished to attend school X. 

At another school where I hadn't received a scholarship offer initially, I e-mailed the person who had sent me my admissions letter.  This school ended up offering me a sizable scholarship. 

Did you mention the other schools by name?  There is a school I am interested in, but I have way more money to two higher ranked schools...