Law School Discussion

ND or W&L

jeffreydane

• You call him Dr. Jones, Doll! - Shortround
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ND or W&L
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 12:32:09 AM »
not to bud in but how does one go about researching "big law" statistics from schools?

The research I was talking about for Notre Dame was based off a complete listing of the employers for ND for the class of 2006.  They had 43 of 192 students working for a v250 firm.  That's roughly 26 percent, with 14 more working in judicial clerkships.  They also seemed to have some people in some fairly "plum" jobs, like working for Microsoft or JAG positions etc.

I'm only worried because all the data I've ever heard about W&L has been anecdotal;  Not a true breakdown of a class and where one has to be to get a big law position.

Lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 06:32:30 AM »
     Lenny,
           Thanks for the help.  I was defining biglaw as v250 firms.  Do you have access to any kind of information on placement statistics.  The website is particularly unhelpful.  What about the number of v250 firms that do OCI?

I'm pretty sure W&L doesn't publish the info in the format you're seeking that would allow you to compare apples to apples with the ND data.  I know they publish the list of firms that come on campus to interview, so you can cross reference that with the vault 250 list if you're interested.

If you're so interested in Texas, you could perhaps contact admissions and ask them to put you in contact with a few recent alums that are now at the large texas firms and see what they have to say. 

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
I'm in the same situation deciding between ND and W&L. I haven't visited ND, but I visited W&L and really liked it. My scholarship offers are very similar to your's. Did you ask ND to increase their offer? I haven't tried this yet.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 06:59:27 PM »
I think ND is the obvious choice here. No one knows who Washington and Lee are and they suck at getting high paying jobs.