Law School Discussion

ND or W&L

jeffreydane

• You call him Dr. Jones, Doll! - Shortround
    • View Profile
    • Email
ND or W&L
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
   Scholarships at ND=15k  per year. W&L=27,000 per year.

priorities:

(1) Biglaw- I have completely broken down ND biglaw stats for 2006, and it appears that 26 percent of the total class went biglaw, with several prestigious clerkships also in the rating.  I got the feeling from the ASD that Notre Dame as an institution knows how to get students jobs. I can't find reliable biglaw data for W&L, so if somebody has some I would love it.  Self-selection is the only thing I here to explain away anecdotal evidence of poor biglaw placement.

(2) South.  Probably Texas If I had my choice, but this goal is definitely less important than biglaw.  I'd go to a biglaw firm in Boston rather than a small firm in Texas.

(3) Scared to death of Indiana weather.

Lenny

• View Profile
Re: ND or W&L
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
1.  No clue.  It probably depends on one's definition of Biglaw.  From my experience, and based on my definition, I would say that W&L places more than 26% in "Biglaw."  So, I think we're defining Biglaw differently because ND is a very good school that I suspect provides similar opportunities as W&L. 

2.  Definitely W&L.  A fair amount of W&L law students come from and return to Texas.  The number is even greater on the undergrad side (just take a cruise around the undergrad parking garage - more Land Rovers, Tahoes and BMWs with Texas tags than you can imagine), and I was pleasantly suprised at how willing undergrad alums were to help law students. 

3.  W&L

jeffreydane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:33:13 PM »
     Lenny,
           Thanks for the help.  I was defining biglaw as v250 firms.  Do you have access to any kind of information on placement statistics.  The website is particularly unhelpful.  What about the number of v250 firms that do OCI?

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »
As a NDLS 1L, I truly think it's a toss up between the two schools.  In both schools, BIGLAW is not guaranteed unless you do well (definitely top 1/2 if not top 1/3).  You should try to visit the schools before making your decision. 

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
ND and W&L are both good schools and close enough for biglaw placement. that W&L scholarship is huge though, so i'd vote for W&L by a slim margin. i'm also not a fan of South Bend's weather and location. it was depressing at times when i was there.

jeffreydane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »
I actually did visit both schools last week. My wife and I went on a law school tour and have it narrowed down to those two. I loved different things about both of them. I felt like Notre Dame really knows how to place their students in great jobs and the community is really great there. I am afraid of the weather and 70k in debt.  At W&L I liked the town and the weather and the minimal debt, but I am definitely hesitant about not being able to get the kind of job I want upon graduation. I was really hoping someone would be able to shed a little light on W&L's placement in Biglaw.

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:02:17 PM »
With the huge discrepancy in scholarship, W&L is the easy choice.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »
I actually did visit both schools last week. My wife and I went on a law school tour and have it narrowed down to those two. I loved different things about both of them. I felt like Notre Dame really knows how to place their students in great jobs and the community is really great there. I am afraid of the weather and 70k in debt.  At W&L I liked the town and the weather and the minimal debt, but I am definitely hesitant about not being able to get the kind of job I want upon graduation. I was really hoping someone would be able to shed a little light on W&L's placement in Biglaw.

at both schools you will want top 1/3 to have a good shot at biglaw. your concern should be which location you and your wife prefer and if you are willing to take up the extra debt from ND or not.

Samson, B.

• GPA: 3.38 LSAT: 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
not to bud in but how does one go about researching "big law" statistics from schools?

As for your post I'd have to go with W&L. You'll save yourself some $$, have nicer weather during your time in law school, and Lexington would be a nice place to spend 3yrs with your wife (not sure if you have kids...)

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 10:14:11 PM »
not to bud in but how does one go about researching "big law" statistics from schools?

As for your post I'd have to go with W&L. You'll save yourself some $$, have nicer weather during your time in law school, and Lexington would be a nice place to spend 3yrs with your wife (not sure if you have kids...)

agree. lexington does have great weather. your wife will appreciate that.