Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this Really the Case?  (Read 14856 times)

annonymous

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago c/o 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Really the Case?
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »
i'm not really a good person to ask about study tips since i have realized in law school that i never really learned how to study for exams. most of my friends who've done well at chicago tend to study consistently throughout the quarter; they'll do assigned reading on-time, take good notes in class (which does NOT mean copying down every word the professor says, but taking intelligent notes on main points and things he continues to focus on), and outline throughout the quarter with class and reading notes. reading e&e helps some people as well.

While that is generally right, I do want to say that different people can have different approaches that still work well. It really depends on what works best for you.

There are some people whose only real work done during the quarter is the readings (this, I agree, is essential)... but they don't take much (or, in some classes, any) notes in class, don't outline during the quarter, don't really do anything beyond the readings. Then they just cram the week/day before exams. And they do well (or at least, since these are 1Ls I'm talking about, they have done well in the first quarter of their first year- I realize everything can change this quarter). Its not that these people don't work hard, its just that they structure WHEN they work differently because that approach fits them better (so far).

I'll second the hornbooks thing, even if I've only used a hornbook for one class so far (mainly because it was the only 1L exam taken so far that a hornbook could be useful in, Property, as I imagine I'll use more hornbooks in the future).

And yes, old exams are essential. Thats basically the only way I study (I don't actually DO the old exams, but I read them and the model answers to see what the professors is looking for, as Hazard noted).

I can't speak to the randomness factor yet, since we only have 15% of our 1st year grades in so far. Kinda hard to extrapolate from two exams, especially when one of them is the incredibly weird "Elements of the Law" exam.
"I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius."
"What's misunderstood about you?"
"Nobody thinks I'm a genius."

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
One thing I've heard that can be extremely helpful is taking practice exams from the specific professor and having that professor grade them. I think this helps a lot with the professor-specific grading. Each one is looking for different things, but that's nothing new. That's basically an essential skill of college.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »
One thing I've heard that can be extremely helpful is taking practice exams from the specific professor and having that professor grade them. I think this helps a lot with the professor-specific grading. Each one is looking for different things, but that's nothing new. That's basically an essential skill of college.

If I asked my professors to grade my practice tests, I would get smacked in the face. And furthermore, I would deserve it. They're busy people. It sounds great for students, but I don't see it happening.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »

If I asked my professors to grade my practice tests, I would get smacked in the face. And furthermore, I would deserve it. They're busy people. It sounds great for students, but I don't see it happening.

Of course.  That 40k tuition doesn't justify taking away any of their time.  They have another book to write about Holmes, or maybe the Rehnquist files would make for a great edition of his dissents, complete with long footnotes about the reiteration of certain phrases.

Or, they have lives of their own, children who would like to see them once in a while, instead of whiny graduate students who are so insecure about their grades they need to have a complete dry run of the exam. If a prof puts together a model answer, that should be enough. That and having class with them all semester. Seriously. It's rude to ask your professor to take extra time out to "grade" your practice test. They have things to do besides indulge your neuroses. Don't be greedy of their time.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »

Oh DASHRASHI! Who needs a professor? All I really need to do is have you grade my practice tests.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 03:43:21 PM »
I had a few professors who said they were willing to do it.

I also had a few who would refuse, but would take specific questions if you'd done a practice test and compared to the model answer.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »
I had a few professors who said they were willing to do it.

I also had a few who would refuse, but would take specific questions if you'd done a practice test and compared to the model answer.

My Civ Pro prof encouraged us to work on old exams throughout the semester, and she would go over them with people during her office hours. She'd go over your whole practice exam and tell you what she was and wasn't looking for, and schedule extra office hours so people could do this as much as possible, and actually get on our case if she felt that people weren't coming in enough. It was really helpful. You definitely had to be prepared, though - if you hadn't honestly spent time on the practice exam and figured out what you could on your own before coming in she would definitely call you out on it.

Of course, her actual exam turned out to be totally brutal, for whatever that's worth  :D
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »
Alls I'm saying: don't count on that for a study strategy.
This sig kills fascists.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:25 PM »
Yeah, "whiny."

It's not like you have your entire legal future riding on those tests. 

dude, you're being a little unfair.  i mean do you have any idea how long it takes to grade legal examinations?  asking for a dry run in a regular 80-100 person class is asking a LOT.  now if it's a smaller class, say 30 people, maybe.  my prof for my 30-person class was willing to do it 1L fall.  but it is a lot to ask.

Subtle Columbia troll.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
Yeah, "whiny."

It's not like you have your entire legal future riding on those tests. 

dude, you're being a little unfair.  i mean do you have any idea how long it takes to grade legal examinations?  asking for a dry run in a regular 80-100 person class is asking a LOT.  now if it's a smaller class, say 30 people, maybe.  my prof for my 30-person class was willing to do it 1L fall.  but it is a lot to ask.

Subtle Columbia troll.

lol.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.