Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn v. Northwestern  (Read 1325 times)

Conflicted

• View Profile
Penn v. Northwestern
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »
I have a sense that Penn is a little more highly regarded, but with a little preference towards chicago as a city does anyone have any thoughts about the pros and cons of each? Ramifications job wise, quality of life, etc. I also hear that the student pop at N'Western is generally older, not necessarily a plus in my eyes as I'm only 1 yr out of undergrad...

Do these add up enough to sway decision to Penn or stick with N'Western? Also does admit to Penn provide any leverage for getting $ from them?

cisforcookie

• View Profile
Re: Penn v. Northwestern
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
I don't think there's any difference at all between them in terms of placement. In terms of other stuff, it's more interesting.

Northwestern:
++Chicago
+++Fewer 22 year old straight-to-law students getting on your nerves
+Non-competitive atmosphere
+Strong alumni community
+Amazing Campus
-High Price

Penn:
+Philly is a very nice town
+Massive concentration of alumni in NYC (if you like NYC)
-If you're heading to new york, you've gotta find extra lodging up there for summer clerkships, etc
-Not the best reputation for community
-Lots of whiny 22 year old straight-to-law students who chose penn because it was the highest ranked school they got into.

edit: I think the northwestern average starting age is like 25. hardly a bunch of geezers.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »
I don't think there's any difference at all between them in terms of placement. In terms of other stuff, it's more interesting.

Northwestern:
++Chicago
+++Fewer 22 year old straight-to-law students getting on your nerves
+Non-competitive atmosphere
+Strong alumni community
+Amazing Campus
-High Price

Penn:
+Massive concentration of alumni in NYC (if you like NYC)
-If you're heading to new york, you've gotta find extra lodging up there for summer clerkships, etc
-Not the best reputation for community
-Lots of whiny 22 year old straight-to-law students who chose penn because it was the highest ranked school they got into.

edit: I think the northwestern average starting age is like 25. hardly a bunch of geezers.

This advice seems just a little biased (or off?)... Can't go wrong with either but 2 things bolded above should be addressed -

NU - "amazing campus" ? If you're thinking of Northwestern's UG in Evanston then yes, but the law school isn't in Evanston. It's downtown and it's a building. There is no campus.

Penn - "Not the best reputation for community" - I don't really know where you get that from - "community" IS Penn's reputation.  Sense of community/collegialtiy is one of penn's biggest selling points.

Both are great schools. Chicago is my favorite city. But typically the decision is between UChicago v. Penn. Unless NU is giving you a significant amount of money I'd say Penn. Also, the two people I know that have graduated from Penn Law are doing biglaw in Chicago - so it's not as if NYC is the only option by any means.
Penn Law Class of 2011

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
Definitely biased, but that's what we do here. I'm from fairly near to penn, and I looked hard at both schools about 6 months ago. I decided not to even apply to penn. I just got a bad feeling about it, and I heard a number of bad things about the law school, the administration, and the types of students it attracts. I could have been misled.

Yes, I know that the northwestern law school is in downtown chicago. Have you been there? It's pretty sweet, and is located in the nicest part of an amazing city.

Conflicted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »
Thanks, ya I do like Chicago a bit better than Philly, also have a few pretty good friends my age in Chi, although some in jersey Philly area as well from doing UG in Jerz.

Currently on the hold list at U of C, I applied late so this seems to be a theme right now...Do you think that admit at Penn could be leveraged into money at NW?

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »
What and where do you want to practice?
Michigan 2L

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »
Definitely biased, but that's what we do here. I'm from fairly near to penn, and I looked hard at both schools about 6 months ago. I decided not to even apply to penn. I just got a bad feeling about it, and I heard a number of bad things about the law school, the administration, and the types of students it attracts. I could have been misled.

Yes, I know that the northwestern law school is in downtown chicago. Have you been there? It's pretty sweet, and is located in the nicest part of an amazing city.

ha - at least you're honest :)  yea, I've visited NU. It's in the heart of Chicago that is for sure - I just thought it was a little misleading when you said 'campus' - it is just a building (eh, semantics). Anyway, inspite of that, I almost see the location as somewhat negative. It's not within walking or even biking distance of anywhere you're going to live. My partner's sister and brother go to Kellogg which is literally right next to the law school. It's convenient for them because they're working all day downtown but it's no where near where they live. I'd imagine you're taking the L to class every day whether you like it or not. Walking to campus is certainly an option at Penn and I find that more appealing. But everyone's different. 
Penn Law Class of 2011

Conflicted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:54:28 PM »
Interested in either International Law (Maj in Middle Eastern Studies in UG) or getting involved with professional sports- front office, gen. counsel type work (played basketball in UG)

Where is not so much a problem- pretty open and I figure after putting in 3-6 years in a big market that if I dont like it, information, work, and client base will be almost seemlessly portable at that point anyway...

summerisnear

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:54:03 PM »

Penn:

LOLZ.  Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.  Philly is hardly a nice town.

beanie13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
I've lived in both places, and I would say Chicago > Philly.... but then again, I was born in Chicago so I'm way biased. The NU building, I believe, is on Lake Shore Drive, and overlooks Lake Michigan. It's in a nice place.... I would rather be walking around there in the dark than Penn., but that could just be me.