Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WVU letter addressed to me as aditted S-A good sign  (Read 1432 times)

owusuboahene

• View Profile
    • Email
WVU letter addressed to me as aditted S-A good sign
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:15:49 PM »
Hi Guys,
        I am new to this site, and I have a question.  I applied to West Virgia College of Law, and 3days ago, I received an e-mail from a minority admissions representative informing me of an up-coming admitted students luncheon, and congratulating me on being accepted.  I have not received any official acceptance letter from them though.  Can someone tell me if this is a good sign? Also, I received a letter from AccessGrup soliciting loan app. from me.  Does it mean I have been admitted at West Virginia or somewhere? I just don't want to start jubilating when I don't have a good reason to. Any info on WVU? I only know it is tier 3.  Thanks

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WVU letter addressed to me as aditted S-A good sign
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »
It means you got in.  Congratulations.  The mail is probably in transit

owusuboahene

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I did reeive the formal acceptance letter.  Now, I also have another question:  I have also been admitted to Cleveland State, which of them do you think I should accept?  I only know that they are both tier 3s, but West Virginia is cheaper than Cleveland State, in terms of In-state tuition.  Now I am only concerned about job prospects. Thanks, the jacker112 and all the other brothers and sisters, and best of luck.

Owusuboahene

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »
I don't know much about either school but the general consensus around here is that you should go to the school located in the region that you want to practice.  Congratulations on your acceptances.
I hate this limbo!

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »
Hey man,

LHL is right.  When it comes to tier 3 schools they are very regional.  So you want to go to the law school thats in the area where you can see yourself living and working.  Once you figure that out, your choice should be clear.

I don't know what kind of law that you want to get into but it seems most people on this forum want to get into biglaw.  The truth is that cracking biglaw is basically not a possibility coming straight out of law school from a tier 3 (unless you're in top 2 or 3% + law review).  but if you work hard in whatever firm you get a job at, biglaw could be lurking around somewhere down the line.

If you want to get into public interest law, you should generally go to the place where you'll rack up less debt because public interest really doesn't pay that well and you don't want to be handcuffed by a large debt load. 

I did a little looking around for you and it seems like job prospects from both schools are okay.  You'll probably need to be around third of your class but have faith in yourself and you'll be able to do it.

Any other acceptances?  Have you applied to any tier 2's?

lgllgl2atty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 02:03:48 PM »
You are going to do GREAT wherever you go!  I wish you well!  Keep in touch!  (I saw you'd posted here, and I'm so glad you are my friend!)  Guess who?

owusuboahene

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:41:14 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone, for your info.  I am visiting VWU on the 12th for their admitted students luncheon, and I am pretty sure I'm going to be there for the next three years.  Thanks once again.