Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BAYLOR vs TEMPLE (+ other offers)  (Read 406 times)

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
BAYLOR vs TEMPLE (+ other offers)
« on: March 23, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
I recently received full-tuition scholarships to Baylor, Temple, and Pace. I also received about a 75% scholarship to U of Arizona.

I'm leaning towards one of the 3 schools with full-tuition scholarship, but the competitive side in me, wants to go to the best school possible. I am interested in pursuing public interest law (civil liberties; wrongful convictions with death penalty, etc), so maybe the distinctions between the school's USN&W rankings (Arizona: 44.5; Baylor: 54.5, Temple: 62.5; Pace: tier 2) don't matter as much?

Does anyone have any insights or suggestions they could share about these schools?

It sort of surprises me that Pace (which is where Bobby Kennedy works on environmental law issues) is a tier 2 school. Would I be sacrificing a lot, by choosing Pace over Baylor/Temple/Arizona?

Thanks!

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: BAYLOR vs TEMPLE (+ other offers)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:07:26 PM »
I should probably add that I have no geographic preference right now about where to work after law-school, although my inclination would be D.C. (Unfortunately, I got Wait-listed for American though).

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 04:15:10 PM »
Do you have any connection to any of these areas already?

I was considering UA and Baylor.  I am fairly partial to UA.  It is very good at publishing job placement stats: http://www.law.arizona.edu/Career/prospective.cfm

UA also pays you to work in nonprofit/unpaid positions your 1L summer.

mconnett

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
Thanks. I'm from the northeast, so I definitely don't have any connection to Texas or Arizona. But, then again, I'm open to living in new places (although Waco would be pushing it a bit). After graduation, though, I probably would want to move back to the northeast. Is it a bad idea to go to school in an area that you don't necessarily plan to live/work?

mm1405

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
I live in Texas and actually applied to both Temple and Baylor... havent heard from Temple, and was accepted to Spring 2009 for Baylor.  Congrats on the scholarships! Thats awesome.

From what I hear, doing my research...

In Texas, Baylor probably ranks 3rd or 4th.  It is located in Waco, which is a pretty small town located 2 hours from Dallas or Austin.  From what I hear, the campus is very "advanced" and has the most up-to-date technology in Texas. The class size is very small.  Baylor is known for its practical adversary approach.  I've heard that law school is like a "boot camp" but that many graduates are much more prepared upon graduation than other law school graduates (in the courtroom, anyways).  My biggest problem with Baylor, would be the location.  I dont see there being many networking/clerking opportunities in that area. I've heard if you want to work in Dallas, SMU is best bet. Houston... UofH. And obviously, UT is above either of those.  So I'm not sure sure where Baylor fits in on finding a good job.  Admissions employees were very nice during the Houston forum.

Temple is in Philly, huge location difference.  I hear the campus is nice, but be careful when leaving the campus due to the location. Obviously, weather is vastly different.  I hear if you go to Temple, plan to work in Philly... or if you're at the top of the class you can travel out of that area relatively easy. Dont know much else about Temple...

Hope that helps some?
158/3.84, Master's Degree, Paralegal for 1 year

IN: Baylor (Spring 09), Penn State Dickinson,
OUT: UT
WL/WD: Temple, Rutgers-Camden
Pending: Houston, SMU

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »
As a side note, if you are really interested in capital appeals cases, you might consider going to school in a death penalty state, especially if you are looking at largely regional schools.

This really influenced my application choices, and my final decision.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »

Tuscon is a great place, and Waco is near some great places (okay, one: Austin). Professionally, though, I'd go with Temple. Cost of living is very low for the urban environment (though not nearly as low as it would be in Waco), but consider the connections available at a larger locale. How do the OCI firms compare? I know there are plenty of other opportunities in Philadelphia merely because there is a large Temple alumnus base. The school seems to garner decent respect among Philly firms (not sure how that might translate to DC opportunities, though).

I would be careful about the Baylor full ride (and, UA and Temple, it they have similar terms). Scrutinize its terms carefully, for most of their full-ride offers have strings requiring levels of performance that are difficult for all the award recipients to keep. 100K scholarship means a lot less if you only have it for your first year (look at the number of full rides they offered last year).

I would not discard Temple for being near some dangerous parts of Philly...there are thousands of students and plenty of decent places to live nearby.