Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missouri 1L taking questions  (Read 770 times)

Slice57

• View Profile
Re: Missouri 1L taking questions
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 02:44:24 PM »
I'm trying to decide between MU, KU, UNL and OU. What are your perceptions on each of these schools relative to MU, particularly KU? What are your thoughts on career services, from what you can tell so far as a 1L? Thanks.

Ok while I don't know much about the other schools, I think MU's position in the region will allow a few more options. For example, a recruit from Kansas city told us they recruit at KU and MU, nothing in St. Louis. Another person from STL said that they dont' really go over to KU because they figure people from Kansas will want to practice in KC. So I think that being in the middle of the state you have options in KC and STL and if you want to do government work, it is right by Jeff. City.

I think the career people are great. Very helpful if you are looking for something in this region. However, I have a friend going to Atlanta this summer, and she says they could not help much.

As a 1L, with the majority of people still looking for a place to work, that is about all I can say about this topic. Sorry

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 02:46:10 PM »
I'm only replying b/c I know some people from the other thread were trying to choose between MU and SLU. I'm not trying to say anything negative about MU b/c I think it's a great school, but some things I just wanted to point out:

The way the MU divides up classes is really different from SLU. There are 100 more 1Ls at SLU, but the classes have the same number of people--120ish in the biggest classes, 70-80 in the medium ones, 35-40 for Civ Pro (the treat it like homeroom), and 25ish for LRW.

SLU only requires you to be a student in good standing to keep your scholarship--I think it's like 2.0. If you're below a certain ranking, they make you take a study strategies class instead of one of the core classes in the spring; you make up the other core class over the summer. They do this to try to keep people from flunking out.

At SLU you have Civ Pro, Contracts, and LRW both Spring and Fall semester.

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:54:14 PM »

If you're used to taking public transportation to class, the driving with be a shock. The city is set-up so you can't live real close to campus, so everyone drives. At certain times, the traffic can be real crappy. But now that I know when those times are, it is not really a problem.

I've spent four years in Columbia, and I have to strongly disagree with this. I have never had to drive to class, and none of my friends live far enough away from campus to have to drive either. There are plenty of places to live that are less than 10 minutes walking time from the law school.

I would recommend you take a look on Craigslist and at the classifieds at themaneater.com (the MU student newspaper's Web site.) East Campus and Downtown have a lot of great options for students that are close enough to not only walk to class but to also walk to bars and restaurants downtown.

I don't know if it is because 1L's look late for places to stay, or if they think it will be too loud downtown or what... but I don't know anyone that lives within walking distances of campus. At least I don't know any 1Ls. So the poster above would be a much better person to ask about living int he downtown area then me!

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »
I'm only replying b/c I know some people from the other thread were trying to choose between MU and SLU. I'm not trying to say anything negative about MU b/c I think it's a great school, but some things I just wanted to point out:

The way the MU divides up classes is really different from SLU. There are 100 more 1Ls at SLU, but the classes have the same number of people--120ish in the biggest classes, 70-80 in the medium ones, 35-40 for Civ Pro (the treat it like homeroom), and 25ish for LRW.

SLU only requires you to be a student in good standing to keep your scholarship--I think it's like 2.0. If you're below a certain ranking, they make you take a study strategies class instead of one of the core classes in the spring; you make up the other core class over the summer. They do this to try to keep people from flunking out.

At SLU you have Civ Pro, Contracts, and LRW both Spring and Fall semester.

My scholarship is top 50% to make sure you keep it. However, being under the top 50% does not mean you will loose it for sure, they just say they will "re-evaluate' your scholarship.

MU: Biggest classes 75 pepole (Contracts, property, torts, civ pro)
Meduim: 40ish Lawyering
Small: 20 LRW

We also have Civ Pro, COntracts, and LRW both spring and fall (some schools do contracts in one semester and split property)

b4its2late

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 12:42:26 AM »
if you feel comfortable, do you have a couple apts you would recommend for 1Ls on the south/southwest part of Columbia?
Thanks

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
Here is the company that I rent through... www.corporatelake.com This is the ONLY place I can give an actual review on. Brandon Woods place is nice, quite, and has a good rental co.

I have friends that live here: http://www.katyplaceapts.com/floor_plans.asp

There is just a couple to look at. If you google like "apartments in Columbia, Mo" you will find all the big apartment complexes. Also craigslist is a way to go.

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »
Here is the company that I rent through... www.corporatelake.com This is the ONLY place I can give an actual review on. Brandon Woods place is nice, quite, and has a good rental co.

I have friends that live here: http://www.katyplaceapts.com/floor_plans.asp

There is just a couple to look at. If you google like "apartments in Columbia, Mo" you will find all the big apartment complexes. Also craigslist is a way to go.

I'd recommend the first over the second.  The Southampton area is a nice, quiet area where you'd be hard-pressed to find a kegger within a mile.  Mainly because it isn't within walking distance of campus, so kids have nowhere to stumble home.

Katy Place is around some massive new developments where you are likely to be distracted by the people in a handful of ways.  Anywhere around Bearfield/Jefferson Commons won't be conducive to your intense studying.

East campus is where I spent most of my time partying while in Columbia, but like Bearfield/SE Columbia, you will hear bottle rockets outside your window all the time, kids will be stumbling home drunk in front of your house/apt every night of the week, and parking can be difficult.  Not that I wasn't guilty of partying too much, but just remember this when figuring out where to live.

Maybe west of campus, still within walking distance?  It seems quieter than the rest of campus, and may be a short walk.    I know some people that live(d) on Burnam, and it's close enough to walk while still remaining nice and quiet (from what I can tell).

Hope this helps, good luck!
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...