Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Discuss where other posters should attend law school  (Read 5295 times)

lishi

• View Profile
Re: ITT I tell you where you should go to law school
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
Hopefully I've gotten mine in before the deadline  :)

LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lishi

Debating between Fordham, Wake Forest and USF

-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one Doesn't matter for any of the schools
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money. Parents will pay for my housing and bills no matter where I go. If I go to USF they will pay the rest of the tuition for USF. If I go to Fordham they will pay for as much as they can, but I'll still have at least $20,000 in debt a year.
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy Easy going can make friends anywhere, not afraid to move some place by myself and pretty independent.
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business) I know I eventually want to practice in SF (my family is from the Bay Area) after I graduate, but I'm completely ok with working where I graduate law school from to build my resume. Biglaw is only for me if I have loans to pay off, other than that I'm happy with a mid-size job. Just really want/need to make at least $70K or $80K when I graduate.
-Any other notably relevant information I'm scared of going into debt. I've had some people tell me it's best to go to USF because of the networking opportunities (and my family has more connections in the Bay Area), but I'm become a rankings whore since reading forums. I really just want to go someplace where I'll get a good job and be happy.

WyattOil

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
EDIT: WyattOil does not follow directions- here's my LSN: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=WyattOil and I'm with jnb983 below me on advice from random strangers.

-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one N/A
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money. Nope-on my own just like undergrad.
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy- I like classic rock and hanging out and being lazy with close friends and I occasionally like to go out, but I grew up in a rural VA town and went to school in LA, so I'm flexible.
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business) I intend to get a clerkship to improve my private practice prospects (likely biglaw in DC)
-Any other notably relevant information I don't really like sports, and Michigan is nice as it's a short plane ride from DC.

Please note that you may have your mind made up for one school, and I may strongly suggest another one.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »
Hopefully I've gotten mine in before the deadline  :)

LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lishi

Debating between Fordham, Wake Forest and USF

-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one Doesn't matter for any of the schools
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money. Parents will pay for my housing and bills no matter where I go. If I go to USF they will pay the rest of the tuition for USF. If I go to Fordham they will pay for as much as they can, but I'll still have at least $20,000 in debt a year.
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy Easy going can make friends anywhere, not afraid to move some place by myself and pretty independent.
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business) I know I eventually want to practice in SF (my family is from the Bay Area) after I graduate, but I'm completely ok with working where I graduate law school from to build my resume. Biglaw is only for me if I have loans to pay off, other than that I'm happy with a mid-size job. Just really want/need to make at least $70K or $80K when I graduate.
-Any other notably relevant information I'm scared of going into debt. I've had some people tell me it's best to go to USF because of the networking opportunities (and my family has more connections in the Bay Area), but I'm become a rankings whore since reading forums. I really just want to go someplace where I'll get a good job and be happy.

If your family's connections in the Bay are strong, then it wouldn't hurt as much to go to Fordham. Keep in mind it's like a 70 spot drop in the rankings. Regional school is one thing, but sometimes the opportunities are just really good elsewhere.

jbakguy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which oneAlaska So.... None
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money.No Assistance forthcoming, 36k in the hole from undergrad
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy Friendly and social but past my paryting days, very outdoorsy, into winter sports, nature photography etc.
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice Want to practice in Chicago, Minneapolis or Milwaukee areas.  Want to go the clerkship route, weigh my options, and either take a job or hang a sign based on financial considerations.
-Any other notably relevant information Skadden partner in the family(unspoken expectations). Fiancee that is very against the long hours/big money route. Idea of being a small town lawyer does not disgust me. Oh and I have never lived anywhere that wasn't either in the mountains or on the ocean.

I know you said you are done decider and I see the request are stacking up, but any sage advice is welcome, thanks

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:00 PM »
-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which oneAlaska So.... None
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money.No Assistance forthcoming, 36k in the hole from undergrad
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy Friendly and social but past my paryting days, very outdoorsy, into winter sports, nature photography etc.
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice Want to practice in Chicago, Minneapolis or Milwaukee areas.  Want to go the clerkship route, weigh my options, and either take a job or hang a sign based on financial considerations.
-Any other notably relevant information Skadden partner in the family(unspoken expectations). Fiancee that is very against the long hours/big money route. Idea of being a small town lawyer does not disgust me. Oh and I have never lived anywhere that wasn't either in the mountains or on the ocean.

I know you said you are done decider and I see the request are stacking up, but any sage advice is welcome, thanks

I'm not Decider, but I would recommend if you want to work in Milwakee go to Marquette. They have strong ties there. But try to get off the Wisconsin waitlist. That would open up opportunities in all the cities you listed.

digs07

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=digs07

-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one: n/a
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money: Grandparents contributing 50%, I'm forking over the rest
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy: Like to strike a work-life balance, medium outgoing, like to go out but also chill..., not the most independent ever
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business) DC or NY Big Law, ultimately international public policy
-Any other notably relevant information: really interested in a supportive learning community

I am at your mercy--pls consider me, Decider!

confusedguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 11:45:06 AM »

You must have LSN to participate in this thread.  I'll give reasoning upon request.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aj130

Please provide some background information. 
-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one North Carolina
If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money. - Old guy, it's all on me.
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy - Not too outgoing, laid back, like to work out, play golf-
Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business)
Probably small law firms in the southeast.

-Any other notably relevant information
Campbell and South Carolina are top choices at this point. Cost will be comparable due to scholarships, half-tuition at Campbell, non-resident scholarship for first year at South Carolina.

Please note that you may have your mind made up for one school, and I may strongly suggest another one.

allen3cm

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 03:04:58 PM »
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=InnateIdeas

I'm heavily considering MSU at the moment.

-If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one. None
-If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money.I have no financial support other than my potential spouse's (small) income of which there won't be any for tuition costs, but perhaps some to help with rent
-Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy I'm from the a small town in the Midwest and would love to be in a larger city eventually.  Potential spouse wants to stay in Michigan for a few years, but not a total dealbreaker
-Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business)I'd like to practice in a larger midwest city Chicago, Detroit, Columbus.  But have always dreamt of NY DC or Boston.  I'd rather not go into biglaw.  Probably midlaw or government work.  I have a definite interest in clerking for a year or two.  Academia would be my highest goal, but unfortunately, my numbers leave that pretty slim, especially after Wisconsin/Ohio State rejection/waitlist
-Any other notably relevant information Debt is scary for me with no familial fallback and an interest to keep as many doors as possible open for a diversity of jobs.

An explanation would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »
Help me Decider!

Out of the schools I've been accepted to I've chosen the University of Kansas.

The only other school currently in consideration is Akron, with a full tuition scholarship (I have to be in the top 10% of the class to keep the scholarship beyond the first year)

Assuming (may be a stretch) I'm also accepted to UNLV, New Mexico, and Gonzaga, should I consider any of them over Kansas?

I won't get in-state tuition at any of them. (Only one public school in my state)
I currently live close to Las Vegas

LSN is linked below.
Thanks.

Betsy 1

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
Ooo me me!

If you are an in-state resident for one of the schools, let me know which one
-nope
If your parents are paying for a % of your law school, explain that.  Be sure to include whether or not you care about your parent's spending excess money.
-nope
Let me know what you are like socially and what type things you enjoy
-I like to go out on occasion, and I like options when i do. but i'm more likely to sit around drinking and watching movies.  I've lived in a little eastern european village for two years and can't wait to live somewhere where everyone doesnt know me and report on everything i do.  college towns don't really appeal to me, because i like to live in places with normal people in addition to students and professors.
Where you want to practice, and what kind of law you want to practice (possible options include biglaw, midlaw, small firm law, public interest, clerking, government and business)
-NOT biglaw.  that's the only certainty, but i'm very interested in working for a governmentagency. work-life balance and being proud of my profession is important to me.
Any other notably relevant information
-I'm mostly deciding between Michigan, Vandy, and WUSTL.  I've asked Vandy for more money.  Mich is the least appealing to me but obviously the highest ranked AND they have a great LRAP.  also, i've never been to ann arbor so probably my negative reaction to it is unfair.  i'm very anti-debt.  vandy is 2 hrs away from my family, whom i haven't seen in almost 2 yrs at the moment, and it would be great to be near.  StL is 7-8 hrs away, Michigan 10-11.

LSN below. Comments?