Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cardozo 90k / W & L 45k / BU  (Read 1214 times)

ChangedMan

• View Profile
Cardozo 90k / W & L 45k / BU
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:15:34 PM »
Decision time is nearing here and by April 1st I will have to make the deposit at W & L to hold the scholarship. I'm from NY (Westchester so I could commute to Cardozo) and as of right now I'd like to stay in NY (haven't really lived outside of it so I can't rule it out but I love it here and can't see a place being better to live/have a career). In my haste to complete applications I never turned in the scholarship letter from BU, figuring that it would be like most schools and all applicants would be considered for merit. I haven't seen any of the schools yet but I will be seeing W 8 L for the open house and BU likely this week. I can also daytrip it down to Cardozo.

I don't have aspirations to work 90 hours a week and get paid for it, I'd probably be much happier with fewer hours while absorbing the pay hit. I also have been working at a firm in the city for the past year and will be returning during this summer. They have already made their intentions clear that they'd like for me to stick with them throughout law school and post law school.

So, that being said, what is the play here? Can I ask W & L to consider an increase? Will Cardozo QOL/Job prospects be worth the extra 45k saved? For the record the Cardozo GPA requirement is a 3.3 and the W & L is a 3.0.

miracles86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Cardozo 90k / W & L 45k / BU
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »
what scholarship letter from bu? there's an application?

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Yeah deadline was MArch 1st, from what I understand you need to complete it to be considered.

miracles86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
you mean need access? you can still file, march 1st is the priority deadline.

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
Selfless bump.

From what I read, unless I misread, to be considered for merit, you need to have put in the scholarship application (same thing as the need access form I believe.) I'll look again after company leaves for Easter.

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »
Yes a quick look indicates that to be considered for any sort of scholarship (including merit) you need to submit, FAFSA, Need Access form, 2 Copies of tax returns (Parents and self). The deadline was March 1st but they do say you can send it in at anytime but all applications received before March 1st will receive priority. Highly unlikely if I sent it now, even if they did process it and award something it wouldn't be till well after final seat deposits.

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
bump the clock is ticking :)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
What is Cardozo's curve?  At W&L, something like 80% of the class is over a 3.0.  I suspect that the percentage of Cardozo's class over a 3.3 is significantly lower than 80%, probably even lower than 50%. 

Pmass322

• AOL Instant Messenger - Da10ispro322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »
Also, I have never heard of someone losing their scholarship at W&L.  I don't the school actually holds people to the 3.0 requirement, but I could be wrong.  As a W&L student from the NYC area, I found the job prospects in NY to be pretty good.  Now, you just need to hear about job prospects coming out of Cardozo and compare.  I'd go to W&L over Cardozo simply because I'd hate that commute from Westchester and if you were to live in NYC, there would probably be no difference in cost between the 2 schools because of the ridiculous rent you would pay in NYC.
W&L Law Class of 2009

Here's how my admission cycle went:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pmass322

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 08:29:15 PM »
Also, I have never heard of someone losing their scholarship at W&L.  I don't the school actually holds people to the 3.0 requirement, but I could be wrong.  As a W&L student from the NYC area, I found the job prospects in NY to be pretty good.  Now, you just need to hear about job prospects coming out of Cardozo and compare.  I'd go to W&L over Cardozo simply because I'd hate that commute from Westchester and if you were to live in NYC, there would probably be no difference in cost between the 2 schools because of the ridiculous rent you would pay in NYC.

Yeah theres no way I'd live in the city, I'd commute but I agree it would definitely be a pain. I'm going to put a call into Cardozo tomorrow to see if I can get some info.