Law School Discussion

Feedback re: applying, scores and PS

Feedback re: applying, scores and PS
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:53:45 AM »
34 years old, married w/ two kids.

7 years as a Police Officer, finished my UG degree in Business when/ where I could - while working undercover narcotics and white collar crime/ computer forensics over the last five years of my career.  Several "W's" due to work transfers and hour changes, etc.  GPA 3.14

15 graduate hours towards my MBA with a 3.4.

Applying for Fall 2005, scheduled to take LSAT in Dec.

What score should I be targeting for the LSAT?  I've been told somewhere in the 153 - 160 range   The index cut-off at the school I'm applying to is 55.  Also, should I just include an addendum for the "W's"?

Thoughts on the PS?  I was thinking about gearing it towards my experiences as an officer.  Wondering it that might not be too easy or over-used?  My other thought is taking it the diversity route.  I grew up a military brat and served in the Marine Coprs myself.  As such, experienced living on 3 different continents and in 11 different states in 18 years.  Adaptibility to change?  Tolerance? Experiencing different cultures?

Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

lexylit

Re: Feedback re: applying, scores and PS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:04:50 AM »
i have a friend like this and he ended up getting into usc and ucla-- don't know his exact numbers though. i think they responded really well to the retired-cop-thang (and he was shot too, hence retired).

i would definitely write about your work experience and how it led you to law in your PS.

as for lsat, just shoot as high as you can without giving yourself an ulcer  ;)

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »
beware johnny law...

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 06:56:47 PM »
Don't worry too much about the W's.  The adcomm should be fimilar about changes in shifts, during the semsters.  But def. include an addendum, giving specific reasons for withdrawal.  If the withdrawals resulted in penality towards your GPA.  Depending on law school, you could address diversity in another PS.

I have exposure to law enforcement at an early age.  I'm also fimilar with computer forensic, crime mapping, etc.  Something to keep in mind, is to keep the person reading your PS memorable, in which they will remember long after they have finished reading your application.  There's no easy formular for PS, and it's taken me awhile to narrow it down to 3 possible PS opening paragraphs. 

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 01:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.