Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what to wear?  (Read 8420 times)

romancingthestone

• View Profile
Re: what to wear?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 11:11:49 AM »
no way!  i'm shocked, truly.  it seems so ridiculous!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 02:41:01 PM »
i think there's a huge difference between a reception and an admitted student's day.  if you go to a reception, it's almost absolutely necessary that you wear business casual.  as for admitted student's day, i think the recommmend attire is a bit confussing.  i was told by my friend (who is a 1L at Boalt right now) to dress casually on Admitted Student's Day.  she suggested that I don't look too uptight, but that's just one person's recommendation. 

like what i said previous, it also depends on the school.  some schools have a more lax atmosphere than others.  so that should be taken in mind.  what is business casual in one school might be more formal in another. 

i suggest just dress neat! :)  and don't wear flip flops. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 03:38:25 PM »
At an evening reception, there are probably a lot of people there who work all day, and if they wear suits for their jobs, then they'll be in suits there. I've been to two, and never felt out of place wearing khakis and a solid color button-down shirt.

Business casual is always safe, unless a school specifies otherwise.

This means, for guys, pressed pants (NO jeans, no cargo pants) and a button-down shirt (no logos), with leather (not tennis) shoes and trouser/dress socks. Polos are a little more informal, but if you wear a nice sweater over it, that's fine. If you're in a warmer climate, where it's a comfort factor, then a polo is probably fine.

For women, anything you'd find at Ann Taylor or a similar store qualifies. No brastraps or thongs showing. Probably want to avoid chunky heeled shoes or anything else you can't walk normally in. It won't make a good impression if you have trouble keeping your balance...

And to everyone, be nice to the olfactory receptors of people around you and keep perfumes and colognes to a minimum.

skotval

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 03:48:22 PM »
I am attending an "admitted students dinner" in San Francisco for Northwestern tonight and I was just planning on wearing what I am wearing at work right now:  Black closed-toe shoes, black knee length skirt with hose, and a grey turtleneck sweater.  I hope people dont show up in suits because I will definitely feel underdressed with the sweater.  What do you guys think... should I be running home to change on my lunch break??

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 04:03:18 PM »
Well I finally just called CU - they said business casual.  However, the comment was made along the lines of I wouldn't wear the ratty, torn jeans to this.  I wonder if that means I can wear my nice, non-holed, jeans? :-P

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 06:02:06 PM »
skotval, i think you'll be fine. there will be other people more dressed up, but i'd imagine there will be several people dressed roughly how you are. and since it's in san fran, some of them will probably be guys.  :P

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 11:53:47 AM »
My rule:

Dress for the job you want... not for the job you have.

Nuff siad.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 06:15:33 PM »
skotval - out of curiosity - did you fit in?  If so, then my outfit should be perfect :-)

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 07:01:26 AM »
i suggest just dress neat! :)  and don't wear flip flops. 

ha ha this is funny.  I think the flip flop thing is just for the Cali-beach peeps.  I've lived on the beach for the past 18 months and wondered the people inland (downtown USC/Loyola) actually wear flip-flops all year round and if I could swing wearing them in law school.  Perhaps it's time I trade in the Old Navy's for Nine West.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 01:30:41 PM »

I think it's not just a Cali-beach thing.  I'm from Berkeley and EVERYONE wears flip flops (no I'm not talking about hippie loving birkenstocks) :-P  I guess I'll have to put my rainbow flip flops for at least one day.  Darn :-P
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.