Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what to wear?  (Read 8423 times)

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
what to wear?
« on: March 21, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »
Not to be superficial, but what is appropriate to wear to a day-long entering law students "reception"?  Also, what is appropriate for the first day of class? As I typically wear jeans, and rarely "dress-up" I wasn't sure what would be best.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what to wear?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 09:09:33 PM »
wow! that's a good question!

all i can say is that whenever i've been invited to a student reception of any kind, i would dress like i would for, let's say, a wedding; according to the rules of etiquette. for this reception, and at this time of year, i'm sure a nice polo shirt and slacks would be totally appropriate for men and a nice blouse and knee length skirt or a nice dress that had the same length would be fine for ladies.

i see it this way; you may have gotten your foot in the law school door, but you can still make a lasting impression on your soon to be colleagues, professors, and staff that you'll be coming into contact with on a very regular basis. (lol)

as for the first day of class? i wish i could help you there. i would be more like you and just show up in jeans or something somewhat comfy. (lol!) ;D but maybe you could wear a pair of chinos/khakis and a polo to the first day of class. it's still ultra comfy and might just give you that 'official' feeling and boost your entire day along! ;D that's always helpful from what i've heard.

so i hope i've been helpful to you! good luck on your first year and have fun at the reception!! ;D

aj :)

JG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 10:31:29 PM »
You could always ask someone from the admissions office what people generally wear; that would take care of all your worries.  If you think you'd be embarassed to ask, you could even call and not give your name.

For things like the first day of class, or any situation where I think it's casual but I'm not sure how casual, I tend to avoid jeans and go for khaki pants or something similar. Even if most people show up in jeans, you don't look out of place.

Have fun!

jgruber

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 09:21:26 AM »
It's a good question to ask, cuz you don't wanna ask after you get there.

For the reception, ask whoever is listed as the point of contact.  It is a completely appropriate question.

As for what to wear for class, I say go naked, but bring some clothes in a bag.  Then you can pull the appropriate clothes out of the bag and dress to match the group.

:o

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:51:26 AM »
so have you decided what you're going to wear yet, schoomp? i'd like to know just to ref off of if i'm ever presented w/this question again.

if you've gone already, i hope you had a wonderful time! :)

aj :)

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:34:35 AM »
I'm curious about this as well.  For a "reception," I would personally wear something a on the lines of "business causual."  However, if it's an all day event (i.e. Admitted Student Day), you might want to go with something comfortable.  At least, that's what I'm planning to do.  I don't think it'll be anything formal since an all day event.  However, if it's a reception dinner or lunch, then I would wear something nice.

I'm going to call the admissions office and ask them if they have any suggestions on what to wear.  I'll probably ask something about the weather so I don't sound too clueless about what to wear (i.e. "Should I dress for the weather, how is the weather like at such and such place?). 

Hope that helps some. 

One more thing, try to find out the school's personality.  Each school has it's own way of dressing and so forth.  Some schools seem to be a lot more casual than others. 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »
I think I am going to wear something business casual.  I had to present my thesis in December, and depending on the weather which in Colorado could be sunny and 80 like it has the past couple of days or snowy so it may change, so I think I am just going to wear the same outfit.  However, if it is 80 I got a pair of really nice capri pants and a nice shirt and with the right sandals it can look dressy (but not too dressy).  In either case, the two different outfits would work whether everyone else shows up in jeans and t-shirt or in nice business wear :-)

Cal4ever - it is an all-day event.  So even wearing business casual stuff, comfortable is a must!  Weather-wise, it is Colorado (I actually live here already) and unfortunately the weather can change dramatically all the time.  Being that it is an April, I'm hoping for nice weather (it has been around 80 the past week), but with my luck there will be a blizzard and regardless of what I wear, I'll end up wet and unkept because of the four feet of snow and 60mph winds!

Aonghus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 06:26:15 PM »
BAH!  I guess a hoodie, docs and jeans are out?

Damn...

I wondered why they looked at me funny when I went to the 'accepted students' day :)

xrayspec

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 06:32:24 PM »
Remember to drink copiously.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 06:43:47 PM »
Luckily at the end of the day is a "Friday Afternoon Club"  If I am going to be paying for three years of education, they can at least pay for one day of beer for me :-P