Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions on American University?  (Read 3032 times)

mzing12

• View Profile
Opinions on American University?
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:01:15 AM »
go

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on American University?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
Pretty weak flame

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 01:06:16 AM »
It seems like it's hard to get anyone on the internetopshere to say a good word about this school, which shares a ranking with Tulane. It's just as expensive as Tulane but in DC, and from what I've researched, American places pretty well if you're a solid, dedicated student. Note: BigLaw is none of my concern, so I ignore anything doing with that.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:19:10 AM »
^^haha, see? It seems like it's hard to get someone to say a good word about this school, which shares a ranking with Tulane. It's just as expensive as Tulane but in DC, and from what I've researched, American places pretty well if you're a solid, dedicated student. Note: BigLaw is none of my concern, so I ignore anything doing with that.

I'd have a hard time going to American. The quality/prestige of the school just wouldn't be worth the price tag..to me. It's the 4th best school in DC, 5th if you count UVa, and you can't forget about W&L, W&M, and all the other T14 grads that want to go to DC.

However, it is a decent school (technically a tier 1) and if you really want to be in DC and you like the school, you could probably do well.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:32:31 AM »
I thought it was the third best school in DC? Do people count Rutgers-Newark or Seton Hall as a NYC schools? Absolutely not, and they're as far from NYC as George Mason is to DC. Washington and Lee is as far from DC as Temple is from NYC, and do people count Temple as a NYC school?

Unless that part of the country is a barren wasteland that relies completely on DC for jobs.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »
I thought it was the third best school in DC? Do people count Rutgers-Newark or Seton Hall as a NYC schools? Absolutely not, and they're as far from NYC as George Mason is to DC. Washington and Lee is as far from DC as Temple is from NYC, and do people count Temple as a NYC school?

Unless that part of the country is a barren wasteland that relies completely on DC for jobs.

George Mason is definitely a DC school. Yes, it's in Virginia, but you can get there via the DC Metro. W&L isn't considered one, but if their grads want to go to DC they will likely be more competitive than American grads (how much more is debatable though).

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:42:29 AM »
Is it -in- DC, though? If that were the case, call Rutgers-Newark a New York City school, because you can get to NYC from there on the PATH train in about 10 minutes.

George Mason is a Virginia school, like Rutgers-Newark is a New Jersey school. That is all.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 01:52:45 AM »
Is it -in- DC, though? If that were the case, call Rutgers-Newark a New York City school, because you can get to NYC from there on the PATH train in about 10 minutes.

Wasn't George Mason a Tier 3 school a few years ago anyway?

Well, Newark is a pretty different place, from what I understand, than Arlington, VA. I doubt there are nearly as many opportunities in the burbs of DC as there are in Newark. I could be wrong though. Also, to be quite honest I would consider Rutgers, Newark, along with all the others in the immediate area, an NYC school.

George Mason was at 47 (tier 1) in 2007, but I can't find info before that date. I doubt they were a tier 3, but I guess it's possible. They used to be a satellite campus of UVa, but they broke off in the 70's. So, they probably started out with a decent reputation at least.

rfsilv02

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:54:58 AM »
^^haha, see? It seems like it's hard to get someone to say a good word about this school, which shares a ranking with Tulane. It's just as expensive as Tulane but in DC, and from what I've researched, American places pretty well if you're a solid, dedicated student. Note: BigLaw is none of my concern, so I ignore anything doing with that.

I'd have a hard time going to American. The quality/prestige of the school just wouldn't be worth the price tag..to me. It's the 4th best school in DC, 5th if you count UVa, and you can't forget about W&L, W&M, and all the other T14 grads that want to go to DC.

However, it is a decent school (technically a tier 1) and if you really want to be in DC and you like the school, you could probably do well.

It is actually the third best out of six schools in DC and the fourth best out of seven if you include GMU in Arlington.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:59:34 AM »

It is actually the third best out of six schools in DC and the fourth best out of seven if you include GMU in Arlington.

Sorry, I should have said that I consider GMU "in DC." Technically, no, but functionally I think it is.