Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are waitlists entirely about numbers?  (Read 1483 times)

• View Profile
Are waitlists entirely about numbers?
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question...I've been placed on waitlists at 2 schools and I don't want to waste my time with sending additional letters, recommendations, etc if it's not going to make a difference. I'm assuming schools use the waitlists to balance their medians, and based on my cycle thus far, it seems that for schools in the 15-25 rankings range it's all about GPA/LSAT and nothing else seems to matter all that much.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are waitlists entirely about numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
tag.

AppleDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:03:33 PM »
There is also the "we need to add another African-American/Female/etc." factor as well
Pacific McGeorge '11

fearlesscowboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
So are WL's just about adjusting the numbers that the school will send to USNWR?

What if an applicant has another good semester that confirms the upward trend or wins a major award? 

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
Well, I'm trying to get into these peoples' heads, and I can think a few approaches they may take...

1. We really like this kid (based on WE, soft factors, accomplishments), so based on the class we have so far, will he/she hurt our 25/75/medians?  Nope. Great. Let's admit him/her.
2. We want the highest LSAT/GPA median possible. Who out of the waitlist pool will bump up one without bringing down the other?
3. We have too many white males.

Obviously, the first scenario would give me the most hope and entice me to submit more info, LOCI's, etc. In reality though, I'm guessing they go with a combination of 2 and 3.

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:15:09 PM »
Everything about the entire process is about numbers.

Having said that...

(non-URM, etc.) Softs come into play when a school has to choose between two applicants with identical (or nearly identical) numbers.  

IMHO waitlists are where softs really come into play.  The school has lumped you on to a list along with a large number of other applicants with similar numbers.  You have to make sure that school knows you're a better choice than Johnny C. Justlikeyou, even though his numbers are the same as yours and he cured cancer.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
3. We have too many white males.

Alternatively, maybe they start off extremely cautious during the normal cycle, check their diversity numbers afterwards, and see whether they can admit more high-LSAT whites/ORMs without feeling embarassed about the proportions.

The Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:33:47 PM »
You make an excellent point, Knight.  Most of the people on the WL already have sub-par numbers, so softs might be more important.

A cursory look at LSN, however, reveals a very different picture.  It seems like borderline numbers might eventually be admitted, while many other WL riders have great softs, legacy status, or something inexplicable.

An excellent point, NSD.  However, not everyone (probably less than half) who is applying to law school gives a *&^% about LSN. 

Sorry if I sound like I have a sandy vagina.  I just got home from work.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
You both make good points, but everyone on waitlists does not have all that similar of numbers. You can usually find a 3-4 point range in lsat scores and .4-.5 range in GPAs for applicants on waitlists. So in waitlist world are all these people now created equal, numbers-wise? Or will someone on the waitlist with slightly lower numbers always get bumped over someone with slightly better numbers, even if that first person had a tougher major, more WE, better show of interest in the school, etc.

The Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »
You both make good points, but everyone on waitlists does not have all that similar of numbers. You can usually find a 3-4 point range in lsat scores and .4-.5 range in GPAs for applicants on waitlists. So in waitlist world are all these people now created equal, numbers-wise? Or will someone on the waitlist with slightly lower numbers always get bumped over someone with slightly better numbers, even if that first person had a tougher major, more WE, better show of interest in the school, etc.

No.

Like I said before, numbers come first.  To be similiar you'd have to have the same LSAT and +/- .05 GPA.