Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UC Hastings' Jump in Biglaw Employment  (Read 5542 times)

thechoson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UC Hastings' Jump in Biglaw Employment
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:24:53 AM »
These things are cyclical.  Hastings was hurt hard in the employment arena when the Dotcom blowup depressed the Bay Area economy.  Up to last year, the economy was good and BIGLAW hiring was up in general, so it makes sense Hastings would benefit.

I was under the impression that top 1/3 can get BIGLAW from Hastings in a good economy.  With the economy sluggish now however, things maybe a bit tougher

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 01:28:56 AM »

I was under the impression that top 1/3 can get BIGLAW from Hastings in a good economy.  With the economy sluggish now however, things maybe a bit tougher

While these "things" are cyclical, i wouldn't bet on the top 33% of hastings getting big law.  More like top 15. What you guys don't understand yet is everybosy in the top _ _% doesn't always want big law.  That opens up a few "wild card" slots.  Firms usually take a chance on one or two outstanding candidates who don't quite have the grades, but have something else.
There's no homework in Law School

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
Look, let's be real here, any T2 school where the BigLaw jobs depend on your ranking is going to be cutthroat.  Anyone who says it's not is lying.  On the other hand, this type of competition prepares you well for the law firm because in the law firm, it's ten times more cutthroat because everyone goes in with the mindset of trying to make partner.

If you don't like competition, then you're in the wrong career.  I have yet to meet a successful lawyer who is not cutthroat to a certain degree.

motorolalawyer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »
Look, let's be real here, any T2 school where the BigLaw jobs depend on your ranking is going to be cutthroat.  Anyone who says it's not is lying.  On the other hand, this type of competition prepares you well for the law firm because in the law firm, it's ten times more cutthroat because everyone goes in with the mindset of trying to make partner.

If you don't like competition, then you're in the wrong career.  I have yet to meet a successful lawyer who is not cutthroat to a certain degree.

Hastings is Tier 1, and used to be top 20...

TITCR. All of the UCs (Boalt, UCLA, Hastings, Davis) are in the Tier 1. Even with UC Davis' big drop this year, they are still a Tier 1.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

Hastings is Tier 1, and used to be top 20...

TITCR. All of the UCs (Boalt, UCLA, Hastings, Davis) are in the Tier 1. Even with UC Davis' big drop this year, they are still a Tier 1.

Unrelated/just curious question:

Where do you suppose UC Irvine will show up on next year's rankings?  How long before it is up there with the rest of the UCs?

Just curious..
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

motorolalawyer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 04:56:01 PM »
UCI probably won't show up in the rankings for a while. Doesn't it take a couple of years to get ABA-accredited?

All of the UC undergrad programs are in the Top 100 (except UC Merced because it's new and not ranked yet) and all of the UC law schools are in the Tier 1 (Top 50). I don't think UCI will have a problem getting to Tier 1 after a few years.

HastingsOneL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 01:35:52 AM »
As 2L I disagree with this perspective.  Don't get me wrong, I know people who think like that, it's just I only know about 1 or 2.  Aside from those (crazy) people, most people agree: Hastings sucks.  However, it sucks in two regards and two regards only: Socially and academically. 

Socially it is horrible unless you enjoy no common areas to get to know your classmates, no real campus, no student community etc.

My experience has been quite different and I have to disagree with the characterization that hastings sucks socially (and to a lesser extend that it has a lack of community).   The big reason for the difference in out experiences is that during the above 2L's first year the whole school was crammed into one building because the library was getting a face lift.  Not very fun.  Now that the construction is complete there are two major places for socializing: the "beach" and the dinning commons.  Both are a buzz with students during the middle part of the day and give you ample opportunity to socialize and do whatever.  I bet the campus personality was totally different last year, but that was last year...

Other than being slightly jaded, the 2L's other advice is spot on and I urge everyone--even those not considering Hastings--to think about where you will be happiest and what you want to do with your degree.

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
Big Law in the Bay Area:

Competitive Market
Most big firms desire top credentials, elite firms have cutoffs with schools, grades; some require clerkships (top 25% top tier schools, top 5% lesser schools)
Most big firms evaluate entirely on credentials and less on personality
You will be up against the best and the brightest from Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, UC Davis, and Santa Clara
(local non-top tier favorite, strong IP)

What Will Get You Noticed?:

Top Tier School
Top Grades, Class Rank/Class Standing
Law Review (any editorship is good)
Success in Moot Court Competition, Writing Competitions
Work with High Profile Professors
Leadership Experience
Reflection of Drive and Ambition on the Resume

hastingsOK2008

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »
Hastings will hire 35 profs.   
the change of Student/Faculty ratio will make Hastings in Top 30.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 10:58:09 PM »
Hastings will hire 35 profs.   
the change of Student/Faculty ratio will make Hastings in Top 30.

Where did you hear this? I just came back from Admitted Students Day. They said they would hire new profs to increase the ratio, but I don't recall them saying a number.