Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA with in-state tuition or Emory 96k scholarship  (Read 3118 times)

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVA with in-state tuition or Emory 96k scholarship
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
I never thought I would have this problem.  I will be headed to UVA ASW next friday and Emory's ASW the following weekend.

I need advice cause I don't know what I'm going to do now!!!!

this would be a tough choice for me...96k is a lot of money.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
I think the difference between UVA and CCN is negligible when it comes to biglaw.  The Vandy studied showed that, even at Vandy, about 70-75% of the class can land jobs making 110k+.  I'd bet UVA is something like 85-90% and Columbia is maybe 90-95%.  That's really not all that significant to me.  Maybe Columbia does a little better with super prestigious firms or something.

Yea, that's what i think as well. If you're one of those who would only work at Cravath or Watchtell, then CLS is definitely a better choice for you. But when it comes to just getting biglaw, i would guess almost everyone gets it from both schools.

jawilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
Although I appreciate the spirited debate on the difference CLS vs UVA, I'm not lucky enough to have to make that decision, lol. 

I know there is a huge difference in national prestige, but I'm concerned with the south and southeast.  Emory is strong in the southeast, UVA is a super strong brand name, but is the difference in the south east between these two schools worth 96K???

Cities I'm looking at working in are Richmond (UVA) Atlanta (Emory) Charlotte (????) Orlando (????) Miami (????) even Dallas (????) Houston (????) and other Texas cities.  How do these schools stack up and is it worth 96K more debt to go to UVA???
UVA Law Class of 2011 !!!
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jawilliamson

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
I live in Dallas.

This may surprise you but I asked a few attorneys what they thought of Emory (when I was trying to decide where to apply)... the response: "Isn't that in the Carolinas?"

Seriously.

Go to UVA and don't look back.

nakanaka

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »
UVA no question.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:51:08 PM »
Atlanta (Emory)
No doubt everyone in Atlanta knows about Emory and it probably does great there, but I'm not sure it would have any actual advantage over Virginia. Atlanta is actually UVA's #3 market (after NYC and DC), and has hundreds of alumni practicing there.

I can't say anything about your main question, but just thought I'd throw that out there, that even in Emory's "home" market, UVA still does quite well. You've got two good options, though -- good luck.
UVA Law Class of 2011

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
UVA no question
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

jawilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
I'm going to the UVA open house this friday and I will be headed to atlanta for their ASW next week so we'll see how those go. 

I'm sure I'll love both schools and the decision will be no easier! 
UVA Law Class of 2011 !!!
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jawilliamson