Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA with in-state tuition or Emory 96k scholarship  (Read 2909 times)

jawilliamson

• View Profile
UVA with in-state tuition or Emory 96k scholarship
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
I never thought I would have this problem.  I will be headed to UVA ASW next friday and Emory's ASW the following weekend.

I need advice cause I don't know what I'm going to do now!!!!
UVA Law Class of 2011 !!!
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jawilliamson

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVA with in-state tuition or Emory 96k scholarship
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:37:15 PM »
UVa

jawilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
ok... is it really that obvious??

130K in debt vs 18K in debt

national job prospects vs regional job prospects
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

und3r3stimat3d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:22:58 PM »
if you want DC definitely UVA. If you want Atlanta, def Emory (not that you can't get Atlanta from UVA, but there's no reason to pass up full ride). Other markets are tougher. South, I'd say Emory, others probably UVA. You can't really make a wrong choice, but I think UVA is probably a slightly one.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:40:10 PM »
I never thought I would have this problem.  I will be headed to UVA ASW next friday and Emory's ASW the following weekend.

I need advice cause I don't know what I'm going to do now!!!!

How come you didn't apply to more Top 14 law schools?  At least include Boalt. They love 4.0 GPAs.

jawilliamson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »

How come you didn't apply to more Top 14 law schools?  At least include Boalt. They love 4.0 GPAs.
[/quote]

I don't want to live in CA or move to CA so Boalt wasn't even considered.  I know that I applied to UCLA but I did so because : 1. they gave me a fee waiver 2. I was hoping to see if I received any type of scholarship.  If it was a large scholarship then I would consider it but it would also be a good barganing chip to use at other similarly ranked schools. 

Why no other t14 schools? I really don't want to work or live in NY and money was an issue when in came to applications.  I didn't want to spend $1200 on schools I didn't really want to go to.  Why waste the money.  I took the DEC LSAT so fee waivers were few and far between. 

if you want DC definitely UVA. If you want Atlanta, def Emory (not that you can't get Atlanta from UVA, but there's no reason to pass up full ride). Other markets are tougher. South, I'd say Emory, others probably UVA. You can't really make a wrong choice, but I think UVA is probably a slightly one.

I would like to work in the southeast.  Charlotte, Richmond, Atlanta, Florida perhaps even Texas if it was the right firm.  I know emory is strong but UVA is.... UVA. 

My heart says UVA but my mind says Emory...
GPA 4.0
Dec LSAT 166

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:25:32 AM »
The job prospects of UVA are worth the price in my view. Emory is just not of the same caliber. Personally  i think money should come into play when you're balancing relatively close schools, say GULC and UVA, or UVA and CLS. But when you have such a huge gap between the prestige of the schools, as UVA and Emory or W&M, it's pretty clear that you should invest in your future and go to a national top-10 school. Your law school will stay with you for the rest of your life, and you'll never have another chance to invest in your future like this. Like i said before, the difference between top-10 schools and top-20 is huge. It's more like "there is top 14, and then there are all these other schools". At least that's what it feels like. Essentially, you've won the lottery by getting in, because this is the hardest part when it comes to top law schools.  But of course think this through and make a good decision. I know money is a big issue, so i understand your hesitation. Goodluck!

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »
relatively close schools, say GULC and UVA, or UVA and CLS.

On another LS discussion board I can think of, you'd get burned at the stake for this one.

But OP, what lonewolf said all seems right.  If you're positive you want BIGLAW, the increased probability at UVA could be worth the cost of the loan.

Really? I personally chose UVA over CLS and I think the two are quite closely ranked. Sure CLS is "better" but not all that much.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
What's this supposed "large difference" based on?
UVA Law Class of 2011

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:44 PM »
No offense loanwolf but I think you value UVa a little to much.  It is one of the top schools in the country, but there is a fairly large difference between HSYCCN and UVa.  Just like there is a large difference between UVa and schools like W&M. 

Granted there is probably a bigger difference between UVa and W&M but there is a large difference either way.
I'm curious as to how you reach this conclusion. First, there is a huge difference between HYS and CCN in my view. But i just dont think the difference between CCN and MPV is that great. Are we talking about clerkship? Biglaw? Academia? I think CCN only wins when it comes to biglaw, but still it is by no means the same as say a difference between UVa and W&M. I've seen studies where UVa placed equally well as CCN when it comes to biglaw, although i guess i am skeptical. In fact, i'm skeptical of all such employment studies. No one contacted me and asked me what i'll be doing this summer. Yet they already have data on 2008 summer employment on some sites...