Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IU ($$$$) vs Georgetown vs Cornell  (Read 645 times)

carrotcake

• View Profile
IU ($$$$) vs Georgetown vs Cornell
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
So here is my situation. I have a full ride (plus $3000 stipend) at IU-Bloomington. I also have acceptance but no money at Georgetown and Cornell. This is a pretty extreme decision (almost no debt vs huge debt), and I am not sure about what to do.

In terms of geography, I absolutely have no preference about where I end up. Also, I am not absolutely gung-ho about big law, but I know that I will not take a job that pays less than $70,000 after law school. 

Please help!

cisforcookie

• View Profile
Re: IU ($$$$) vs Georgetown vs Cornell
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 04:54:04 PM »
i like how we posted nearly identical threads within seconds of one another. quality.

carrotcake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
Lol, yep.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:30:14 PM »
Depends on what you want to do. If biglaw, I'd say Gtown hands down. If you want to do whatever kind of law IU specializes in, go there.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

carrotcake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
Well, all I know is that I want to do litigation. The exact type is not as important.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:35:17 AM »
I'm not familiar with any way of seeing which school is best for litigation. Maybe Leiter has a ranking for that.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »
Go to IU.  If you got that kind of money from them, I'm assuming that you'll be better equipped than most of your class to succeed in law school.  Work hard and you'll get top 10% and likely end up with similar opportunities and no debt.  In the long run, even if you start out making slightly less than you would have, you'll know that you're saving--what?--close to $200,000 when living expenses and everything are factored in.  This is considering the fact that DC and probably Ithaca are going to have higher COL's than IU and you won't have a stipend.  This is alsp, of course, in addition to all of the tuition money.

This is coming from an Ivy-prestige whore.  Even I would say go with IU in this case.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »
Cornell
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

The Nicker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »
Carrotcake, I am in the exact same boat as you with Texas (slightly less prestige, slightly less debt incurred by me).

I have no interest in Big Law, and don't plan on making a ton of money doing environmental law. COL in Ithaca is not that high, but the 200K estimate for Georgetown is pretty accurate.

I'm leaning toward IU myself, and maybe doing a joint Masters there, I'm not sure if I'm ready to start trolling for IU yet, but I definitely think your decision IS a hard one.