Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Calling to find out reason for WL  (Read 1363 times)

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Calling to find out reason for WL
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:46 AM »
Is this an appropriate thing to do? Based on my numbers and the fact that I'm a resident it seems like I should have gotten in to the school that I was WL'ed at. My plan was to call and explain that I was hoping that I might try and remedy whatever it was that caused me to be WL'ed (whether that be grades, LSAT, etc.). Any opinions?

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: Calling to find out reason for WL
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »
Is this an appropriate thing to do? Based on my numbers and the fact that I'm a resident it seems like I should have gotten in to the school that I was WL'ed at. My plan was to call and explain that I was hoping that I might try and remedy whatever it was that caused me to be WL'ed (whether that be grades, LSAT, etc.). Any opinions?

I wouldn't. They won't tell you anything anyway. Write a LOCI?
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »

Did that when I was deferred. Appropriate to do another? Seems like overkill....

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »

Did that when I was deferred. Appropriate to do another? Seems like overkill....

Not sure then. Is it your first choice?

If it were me I would consider either writing another that reiterated my interest in the school and commitment to attending the school and succeeding there or calling.

But even if you called and they said "We waitlisted you because your numbers fall on the fence and we want to see how many deposits we get," what would you do then?
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »

Not sure then. Is it your first choice?

If it were me I would consider either writing another that reiterated my interest in the school and commitment to attending the school and succeeding there or calling.

But even if you called and they said "We waitlisted you because your numbers fall on the fence and we want to see how many deposits we get," what would you do then?

I told them they were my first choice in my original LOCI. The thing is....I don't really think that my numbers fell on the fence (check my LSN for Iowa).

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:00:30 AM »
It looks like you might have gotten yield protected. Here's a possible option, barring outcries from people more knowledgeable about this whole thing than I am:

Call the school. Ask them if they are able to give you any information regarding your WL status. Probably will say no. Then tell them that you are really very interested in attending Iowa and you can't see yourself anywhere else. Make an offer to withdraw your apps from all other schools if you get accepted. If you were in fact a YP then this should reassure them enough to give you a shot.

Kingdom of Lizards

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
It looks like you might have gotten yield protected. Here's a possible option, barring outcries from people more knowledgeable about this whole thing than I am:

Call the school. Ask them if they are able to give you any information regarding your WL status. Probably will say no. Then tell them that you are really very interested in attending Iowa and you can't see yourself anywhere else. Make an offer to withdraw your apps from all other schools if you get accepted. If you were in fact a YP then this should reassure them enough to give you a shot.

I told them in my LOCI that I would withdraw all other apps if I got accepted. I don't think its yield protect, I think its because I got an OWI three years ago, but basically I want to find out if that's the case.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »
I'm out of ideas.  :-\ Although I doubt you got waitlisted for the OWI. I feel like you would have just gotten straight out rejected if that had anything to do with it? Putting you on the waitlist isn't going to affect how the bar views your record any differently than accepting you would.

Kingdom of Lizards

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:59:16 AM »
I'm out of ideas.  :-\ Although I doubt you got waitlisted for the OWI. I feel like you would have just gotten straight out rejected if that had anything to do with it? Putting you on the waitlist isn't going to affect how the bar views your record any differently than accepting you would.

Yeah....well I wonder if its just a matter if they don't have anybody they like better at a certain point....well thanks for the help though.

Trivium

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
In other news, just looked at my waitlist letter (doesn't say why obviously) and it says that I have to notify them in writing of my desire to stay on the waitlist or to be dropped from it. Should I take this opportunity to make it clear that I am still very interested in attending Iowa, etc. I would think this might not even go in my file so I wonder if I should bother. Any experience with this?