Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help me decide amongst NY/NJ schools  (Read 1053 times)

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me decide amongst NY/NJ schools
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 01:10:52 AM »
Congratulations on getting into so many schools, and with money too!

About the Rutgers/Cardozo thing...I can tell you that you should go to Rutgers instead.

The employment rate for new graduates at Rutgers is 79.6 percent, whereas the employment rate for Cardozo's new graduates is only 73.2 percent.  This 6.4 percent difference can make a difference when you are looking for a job.

Also, Rutgers is Much more selective than Cardozo.  Rutgers only accepts 14.4 percent of applicants, whereas Cardozo accepts 27.8 percent of its applicants, almost double the rate at Rutgers.  This may help explain why Rutgers has a better reputation and more of its students graduate right into a job.

And if tuition is an issue, you can't ignore an approximately $100k difference in price between the two schools.  Especially since you aren't looking at going into biglaw, you need to keep your debt as low as possible, assuming a $50k per year starting salary, instead of the $160k biglaw salaries that almost make tuition irrelevant.

So...again, congratulations on your acceptances, but I think that Rutgers is the better choice, by a wide margin.

This needs to be tagged as bad advice. I seriously hope people aren't actually making decisions based on info like that.

A few things:

1) Like someone else pointed out, the acceptances rates are pretty much useless in comparing schools. Also, don't rely too much on the employment rates. They are notoriously unreliable for a number of reasons. It's doubtful that a 6% different really means much. That's also one year's worth of stats. You'd probably want to look up the historical trend of the school. I'd be willing to bet that it fluctuates.

2) Please don't listen to a bunch of clueless 0L's about the difference between these schools. Do some research yourself. A good way to start would be to see what firms interview where. While I don't know if this is fact or not, I have heard that Seton Hall is more well regarded by biglaw firms in NYC. I haven't done this myself but you might see what firms interview at each of these schools (go to nalp.org). Also compare these firm lists to those of NYU, Columbia, and Fordham. See which school comes out ahead. This might give you a good idea of which school has a better reputation.

3) There are also various studies that have been done on placement, school quality, etc. Two I know of are the Ciolli Rankings (lawschoolnumbers.com) and the Leiter rankings (google leiter rankings). While neither of these resources are perfect it might help you out a bit.

4) Realistically, the difference between Rutgers and Seton Hall will be fairly minimal. It will likely come down to your grades/networking. So, I would concentrate on cost of attendance and school feel. Go visit and see which school you like better. The more comfortable/happy you are at school, the more likely you are to do well. If one is significantly cheaper you will not only come out with less debt, but you'll be less worried about money as well.

Many people will try to tell you that one school is much better than the other for whatever reason. Please don't make this the basis of your choice. Do some research and make an informed choice. Decide what factors are important to you and make your decision that way.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Good Advice Chris Rock,

I'm actually interested in going to law school because I want to do sports management. I know...I can do this a lot of other ways and the law degree is not necessary for it, but its what I want. So does anyone know which of the schools in ny/nj that i've mentioned are best for this. Thanks

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 08:37:57 PM »
Congratulations on getting into so many schools, and with money too!

About the Rutgers/Cardozo thing...I can tell you that you should go to Rutgers instead.

The employment rate for new graduates at Rutgers is 79.6 percent, whereas the employment rate for Cardozo's new graduates is only 73.2 percent.  This 6.4 percent difference can make a difference when you are looking for a job.

Also, Rutgers is Much more selective than Cardozo.  Rutgers only accepts 14.4 percent of applicants, whereas Cardozo accepts 27.8 percent of its applicants, almost double the rate at Rutgers.  This may help explain why Rutgers has a better reputation and more of its students graduate right into a job.

And if tuition is an issue, you can't ignore an approximately $100k difference in price between the two schools.  Especially since you aren't looking at going into biglaw, you need to keep your debt as low as possible, assuming a $50k per year starting salary, instead of the $160k biglaw salaries that almost make tuition irrelevant.

So...again, congratulations on your acceptances, but I think that Rutgers is the better choice, by a wide margin.

I hugely question Newark being more selective then 'Dozo.  Just make your education as cheap as possible.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »
If you are absolutely certain about sports law, you should think about applying to Marquette if you still can. They have the best program in the country I believe.
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly