Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help me decide amongst NY/NJ schools  (Read 1085 times)

highhopes967

• View Profile
Please help me decide amongst NY/NJ schools
« on: March 21, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
Hi everyone. I applied to cardozo pt, fordham pt, brooklyn, seton hall, rutgers camden and newark, new york law school, st. john's, villanova, and hofstra.

So far I've heard back from and have been accepted to: seton hall, rutgers newark, nyls, st. john's hofstra, and villanova

The only two I am really considering as of now are st john's with 15k and seton hall with 20k

I have a 162 LSAT and a 3.2 gpa.

My deposits are due april 1st and I don't know what to do. My top three schools (fordham, cardozo, brooklyn) have not gotten back to me.

I want to go to school in the city, but the 5k extra from seton hall is nice, do you think I could ask st. john's to match.

Also, do schools try to let you know before the april 1st deadline, i applied late january, I called Cardozo and the admissions person was very rude,and told me I needed to send an email just to see if I was complete, brooklyn told me I was complete but that they have no idea. Any advice on my chances on getting into schools would also be appreciated, thanks!

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please help me decide amongst NY/NJ schools
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
Got into brooklyn today with a 161/3.21 so you're chances are pretty good (i applied REALLY late, Feb 29)

Unless you get into your three top choices (fordham, cardozo, brooklyn... in that order), considering the school rep, and career opportunities I think you should go with Rutgers Newark.  I know Seton Hall is rated slightly higher than Rutgers-Newark (70/77 I believe), but assuming you want biglaw you'll have a better shot in Rutgers.

Brooklyn and Seton Hall took some major public relations bashing this year so their rep is very likely to be on decline. 

(Forget about nyls, hofstra, and any other tier 3/4 schools... not worth your time and money)

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:53:15 AM »
Ditto.

Go to Rutgers-N if you want to work in/around NYC.  You'll get in-state tuition for all three years, making it affordable, and it has a better rep than Seton Hall. 

For anecdotal commentary about Seton Hall, and how lousy it is, go to JD Underground and see some of the things people are saying about it.  It is absolutely not worth the price, even with the scholly $$.

In fact, unless you absolutely want to live/work in the city, I would suggest picking Rutgers over Brooklyn, as going to Brooklyn will end up costing you about $100K in tuition and give you NYC firm job prospects that are indeed better, but not by a huge margin.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:18:51 AM »
You might want to take a good ook at what the different requirements are to keep the scholarships you're offered. Some schools have a certain GPA requirement, others have a class standign requirement... regardless, most law schools offer many more 1L scholarships than they renew as 2L scholarships because of the weeding out that occurs based on the requirements.
Nobody wants to imagine that they're not going to be in the top half of their class, but it's a 50-50 chance.
Good Luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:13:01 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it. I really do want to work in the city, getting into biglaw is not that important to me, I went to undergrad at a big college and enjoyed it but I want to experience more of a city life.

Jacker? How were you notified from brooklyn, I applied late january and we have nearly identical numbers and I haven't heard anything yet. Did they offer any $?

What about st.john's, should I be considering that?

happypeople

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:41 PM »
Congratulations on getting into so many schools, and with money too!

About the Rutgers/Cardozo thing...I can tell you that you should go to Rutgers instead.

The employment rate for new graduates at Rutgers is 79.6 percent, whereas the employment rate for Cardozo's new graduates is only 73.2 percent.  This 6.4 percent difference can make a difference when you are looking for a job.

Also, Rutgers is Much more selective than Cardozo.  Rutgers only accepts 14.4 percent of applicants, whereas Cardozo accepts 27.8 percent of its applicants, almost double the rate at Rutgers.  This may help explain why Rutgers has a better reputation and more of its students graduate right into a job.

And if tuition is an issue, you can't ignore an approximately $100k difference in price between the two schools.  Especially since you aren't looking at going into biglaw, you need to keep your debt as low as possible, assuming a $50k per year starting salary, instead of the $160k biglaw salaries that almost make tuition irrelevant.

So...again, congratulations on your acceptances, but I think that Rutgers is the better choice, by a wide margin.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
Happypeople, where are you getting your statistics from? Rutgers admits only 14.4% of apps that sounds way too low, I looked it up and princetonreview.com said its 26%.

What does everyone else think, and what about st.john's no one has commented on them. Do you think/know of a way I can politely ask st.john's to match the offer seton hall gave me, any help on how to do that would be GREATLY appreciated.

happypeople

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »
U.S. News and World Report - compiled from the schools themselves via surveys, and I used the 2007 edition.

MrDiggler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
To the comment about Rutgers vs. Cardozo selectivity, I don't think that makes much sense. Look at the GPA/LSAT of who's applying, not just the acceptance rate. UVA's is 25%
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
You're ~hot, therefore you're ~fly

thejacker112

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »
highhopes, brooklyn notified me through snail mail.  was in the mail for about 9 days (I'm an international student)
no scholarship offer, which makes brooklyn way too expensive to go to

Rutgers over St John's anyday.