Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are Jewbans considered "Hispanic"?  (Read 2085 times)

gatorgirl711

• View Profile
Are Jewbans considered "Hispanic"?
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:32:45 PM »
Question:

Are Jewbans considered Hispanic??? My dad is Cuban and my mom is half British and half Puerto Rican (not JewRican, though. lol), so I definitely identify myself as somewhat culturally hispanic, but am 3/4 white.

Opinions?
Go Gators! :)

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are Jewbans considered "Hispanic"?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »
Aren't you also 3/4 Hispanic? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Normally "race" is self-reported anyway, right? So as long as you're not this guy, you should be in good shape. Especially if you've ever joined any Latin student orgs that you can talk about in an essay or something. I think "Hispanic" is more about cultural identification anyway, compared to "black" or "white".

I have a friend who got "National Hispanic Merit" in high school. His mom was Puerto Rican and his dad was just plain old white US American.
UVA Law Class of 2011

gatorgirl711

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
Thanks! I guess I'm 3/4 hispanic and 3/4 white. lol

I got the National Hispanic Merit Finalist award, too. My friends thought it was hillarious because I'm very pale (see profile pic) and have a very Jewish last name. haha
Go Gators! :)

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
I'm in a similar boat being whiter than Powder (the character from the movie of the same name), but most of my family takes pacific islander/native american/ and who knows what other traits. I don't think I could have, in all honesty, checked any box other than white, so I just ignored the race question altogether. Maybe there should be a mut box.