Law School Discussion

Withdrew TODAY !!

Re: Withdrew TODAY !!
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
I withdrew on April 1st from Maryland and Widener. 

VirusNY

• Big Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »
Am probably withdrawing UPenn, Duke and Georgetown by the end of next week while sending out my deposit check to Cornell. I will remain on the Columbia waitlist and if it happens (doubt it) the Harvard one.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2008, 07:55:11 AM »
UVA.

Down to two schools.  Very scary.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2008, 08:03:40 AM »
:o Two very hot choices nonetheless

O'rly?  Let's see how hot Ann Arbor and Ithaca are during the winter.

Would you take Cornell over UMich if you got into both?

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »

Yep. No hesitation, and I've done my due diligence :)

Any particular reasons?  Help me make this decision!

My Dad thinks I should go to Cornell (because of the name).

My Mom thinks I should go to UMich (because I would have more fun).

I'm torn.

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
Please withdraw from Columbia and/or NYU if you're certain that you are not going there.

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »
Am probably withdrawing UPenn, Duke and Georgetown by the end of next week while sending out my deposit check to Cornell. I will remain on the Columbia waitlist and if it happens (doubt it) the Harvard one.

noooooo not penn!

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »

Yep. No hesitation, and I've done my due diligence :)

Any particular reasons?  Help me make this decision!

My Dad thinks I should go to Cornell (because of the name).

My Mom thinks I should go to UMich (because I would have more fun).

I'm torn.

UMich has a much better name in the legal world than Cornell.  A lot of people don't know anything about law schools, so they base prestige on undergrad.  UMich is an awesome school, it is better than Cornell in pretty much everything, but snowfall, which shouldn't really matter unless you are a snowman making fanatic.

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
UMich, hands down. They were my top choice. You'll have far better options for scope of work and geographical preference than you will at Cornell.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »
Would you like a smaller school? Would you be happier in Ann Arbor or Ithaca (look at surrounding cities and travel times)? How close are the schools to family?

Checked out employment stats? Michigan places better nationwide and has about 200 more firms interview there, but that could also reflect their having more students. Check out (via NALP) specifically which firms recruit there. There'll be overlap, but could still provide some guidance as to which big/mid firms would come; the exercise itself is also beneficial in the sense that you'd familiarize yourself with the firm names (espece since you're gonna spamming their inboxes this fall and next for a summer gig, anyway).

Any interest in specific practice industries? Read course listings. Check out ratemyprofessors.com, read archived message boards, the "Students Say" section off review.com, etc. There are usually student newsletters too (Cornell's "Scoops" for example) that you could check out re: weekly events. See surrounding CoL info by checking out Craigslist, seeing Chamber of Commerce sites for restaurant and activity listings. I'm sure there are some student blogs too. Much of this (especially employment opportunities---any T14 is money, no?) may seem negligible now, but the more effort you put into checking each out, you'll def end up getting a clearer picture of each school's identity, and thus, your own preferences.

Also, when you're checking all this out, I wouldn't go into it with a "hmm...what would I like mentality", but rather a more active mindset. Know your own life history, what environments/people cultivate your social and intellectual growth, etc. That's what I did at least...hope my .02 is reasonably helpful. You've got excellent choices regardless of where you go, so I wouldn't fret too much; consider your situation as analogous to being at the final table of a poker tournament---you may not win the whole thing, but you'll be getting $$$ regardless :)

Thanks for this.  It would probably help a lot if I break it down like this.

UMich has a much better name in the legal world than Cornell.

UMich, hands down. They were my top choice. You'll have far better options for scope of work and geographical preference than you will at Cornell.

More to think about.  Thanks.