Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Attending an "Admitted Students" Open House > ?  (Read 876 times)

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Attending an "Admitted Students" Open House > ?
« on: March 20, 2008, 05:10:04 PM »
I'll soon be attending an "Admitted students open house" at the school that I'm about 90% certain I'll be attending. 

What is some good information to seek out?  We'll have time with professors, the dean, current students, and of course fellow admitted students. 

What are some good questions to ask?  If you are currently in law school, what is some information about your school/program that would have helped you out had you known it sooner?

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Attending an "Admitted Students" Open House > ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:36 PM »
Ive got the same questions.  It would be nice if current law students or ppl who have already been to AS events could reply.

Morning Star

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
If you're 90% sure that you'll be attending, you should take advantage of the ASW to check out housing.  These receptions are probably the only opportunity you'll have to see the housing options.
CLS 2011

whitney4126

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:43:19 PM »
I'm a OL also, but I've already been to a couple open houses for admitted candidates.  They both had a "student panel" in which current students answer questions, sometimes with no administrators present.  I found it most helpful to ask questions during that time that only current students would really know or admit.  For example, I find that all of the schools seem to boast about there excellent career services, but the students had a different opinion.  That way I'm not making my decision or forming an opinion based on exaggerated information found in the school's bulletin.  It also gives me a heads up on what to expect at the school I decide to attend.  I know that at school A, I can expect little help if I'm seeking jobs or internships outside the region, so I can take my own initiative from the beginning. 

Calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »
IMO, asking student panels or student tour guides this question: "What's the number one thing you would change about the Univ of XXX?" has given me the most useful information.  Especially if you can find a time to ask it when there are no admissions representative around to discourage truly honest answers.  Multiple negative students answers to this question is what helped me decide not to even apply to GW.  So if you're pretty close to making a decision, it might help throw in the final information you need to decide yes or no.

I've also been asking 2L's what they think of the registration process and whether or not they were able to get at least some of the courses they wanted.  (I'm not interested in enrolling in a program where I can't get into any remotely interesting electives because they're all full of 3L's.)

As far as professors and the Dean, I've been ignoring the recruiting side of the conversation and trying to talk with them as people.  It's helped me gauge how personable they are (which in my opinion can have a big impact on how they'll come across in the classroom.) 

azraelx9

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
If you're 90% sure, the most important thing is finding the likely housing/food places you'll be using next year, and just making connections with other admitted students that will be your classmates next year