Law School Discussion

I HOPE Racism will fade away if I do my part

Re: I HOPE Racism will fade away if I do my part
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »
I think we are less racist than we were 30 years ago.  I don't really care if you aggree.

it's good to not care about whether or not random people on the internet agree with you.  it indicates a degree of normality.

<---disagrees about level of racism.

I read the whole thread. But thanks for the "smarter than everyone else" thing. I'll agree that I certainly am smart enough to recognize an insult when I see one! So...probably I'll start behaving true to form and tell you to shove your snide little remarks in the proverbially appropriate place for them. Goodness knows I wouldn't want to confuse the regulars.

thanks for that.  i was getting a little thrown off.

Always a pleasure, never a pain. (I admit it, it was for you specifically. And CACougar. But mostly you.)

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
Wait, people really think the world has gotten more racist than 30 years ago?  ???

The rest of this I could go with, but that last part I really have to doubt. Sure, the Civil rights movement was in full swing in 1978, and there was more support for things like AA; but the reason AA is being undercut is because so many middle class blacks are getting into good schools now. 30 years ago, there was no such thing as a middle class black person.

Obama is doing phenomenally well. 30 years ago, his campaign wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

I think the reality is somewhere in between. Racism exists, and it will probably never fully go away - but things are getting better.

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »
i don't even know what's sarcastic and what's not anymore.

Keepin you on your toeses!

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
Wait, people really think the world has gotten more racist than 30 years ago?  ???

Some things are better, some things haven't changed, others are now worse. The biggest change is that what's left of racism is sort of underground; it's systemic and unconscious, making it easier to deny. It's there if you look for it, though. Take for instance the punditry fretting over Obama calling his mom a "typical white woman," or Bill O'Reilly's comment about Sylvia's, that he "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's Restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." Why would that be surprising to him? Because he expects less.

I usually don't target Bill O'Reilly because it's like shooting at the side of a barn, but in this case it was the perfect quote to demonstrate what I'm talking about. He doesn't think it's racist, and several other people don't think it's racist, and it's true that it's not really overt racism. There are very egalitarian, very socially conscious individuals who are very unlike Bill O'Reilly in their politics, yet still express similar sentiments.

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

I define racism as a belief that one race should have more rights and opportunities than another. 

I define a refrigerator as a thing in a house.

:D :D :D :D :D

Well done.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »

Some things are better, some things haven't changed, others are now worse. The biggest change is that what's left of racism is sort of underground; it's systemic and unconscious, making it easier to deny. It's there if you look for it, though. Take for instance the punditry fretting over Obama calling his mom a "typical white woman," or Bill O'Reilly's comment about Sylvia's, that he "couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's Restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." Why would that be surprising to him? Because he expects less.

I usually don't target Bill O'Reilly because it's like shooting at the side of a barn, but in this case it was the perfect quote to demonstrate what I'm talking about. He doesn't think it's racist, and several other people don't think it's racist, and it's true that it's not really overt racism. There are very egalitarian, very socially conscious individuals who are very unlike Bill O'Reilly in their politics, yet still express similar sentiments.
I'll grant you that, but 2 things:

1) O'Reilly is both older and less refined than the vast majority of our generation.

2) Though you are right that the undercurrent of racism is there, it hasn't gotten worse. There has always been an undercurrent of racism. What's really changed is that a brown-skinned man can win "white" states against an incredibly popular white opponent. I am not saying that racism doesn't exist - it clearly does. I'm just saying that we shouldn't be in denial about the significant progress that we have made. Obama put it really well: with every generation things get a little better.

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
Okay, I'm admitting that my defenition is too Narrow/Incomplete, but my definition isn't wrong.

Somebody PLEASE stop this lollercaust.
Holy *&^%, Reezy! Where ya been, dude?

Papa Bear

• Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
Holy poo, Reezy! Where ya been, dude?

I think the pottymouth-filter on this board is hilarious. Poo. :)

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 07:37:16 PM »

Some things are better, some things haven't changed, others are now worse. The biggest change is that what's left of racism is sort of underground; it's systemic and unconscious, making it easier to deny.

Right.
Look at some of 1970s TV shows - All in the Family and The Jeffersons for example.  In the 1970s, race, stereotypes and interracial marriage were openly discussed on these shows.  Now we just pretend that everybody gets along just great. 

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »

Some things are better, some things haven't changed, others are now worse. The biggest change is that what's left of racism is sort of underground; it's systemic and unconscious, making it easier to deny.

Right.
Look at some of 1970s TV shows - All in the Family and The Jeffersons for example.  In the 1970s, race, stereotypes and interracial marriage were openly discussed on these shows.  Now we just pretend that everybody gets along just great. 

We do?! O_O

::Points to other posts in this thread for initial corroboration::