Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I HOPE Racism will fade away if I do my part  (Read 3496 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Racism will fade away if we'll let it.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
That's a really interesting study, but I believe that a lot of that can be reveresed.
I lived in China for a few years. At first I had a terrible time distinguishing features, but over time people looked more and more unique. 

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »
That's a really interesting study, but I believe that a lot of that can be reveresed.
I lived in China for a few years. At first I had a terrible time distinguishing features, but over time people looked more and more unique. 

Sure, but it takes some degree of cognitive effort, which is different than the "ignore it and it will go away" approach you seemed to earlier advocate.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
Racism affects different races differently.  Just because you and your parents choose to not care about race as much as those before you doesn't mean that other races have the same privilege.  Those affected most by racism aren't presented with the choice of toning down racism.  I'm glad that there are optimistic people like you and your future children, but it seems like (from your post) that you don't get it.  That's ok though.  The fact of the matter is, racism has been around forever.  There are those of us that won't just let it fade away waiting for every White person to take your path.

I disagree.  When I am discriminated against, I choose to not let it negatively affect me.  I HAVE a choice, and you saying I don't is offensive
I'm really happy with my school!!!

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »
Sure, but it takes some degree of cognitive effort, which is different than the "ignore it and it will go away" approach you seemed to earlier advocate.
[/quote]

I'm not saying "ignore it and it will go away"
I'm saying that my children will probably not be influenced by race, so why do black churches have to insist on shoving "the white man is out to get you" down the throat of their patrons?
Do you think that makes blacks less racist?  no way.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »
Okay, I'm not going to read this thread, because it would just piss me off.  But the title of the thread is so unbelievably wrongheaded that I have to weigh in:  OP, you're a moron.  Big time.

I'm not even going to explain why, that's how stupid I think you are.  Read a book, jackass.

Thanks for that.  I'm a moron because I believe my children won't be racist.  I guess I'll go find a book called "Don't be a moron, jackass!"  That should help.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
something about baseless assumptions.

I'm confused.  Are you saying I should read a book about baseless assumptions?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
And you know there is a difference between culture and race right?

People will always prefer the culture they are comfortable with, but that doesn't mean they will automatically judge people based on the color of their skin.  My whole point is that my children will evaluate others based on behavior.  

So what would you suggest I do?  

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 01:53:35 PM »
"As they say on XO, SELFPWNED!  You should wikipedia this term: "Sociology."  Moron.

What do I suggest you do?  I don't know.  Quit starting threads about wrong poo?

And listen, truthfully, I think that's cute about your kids.  I hope the same for mine."
[/quote]

Okay, I've already admitted that I might be naive and that I'm apparently no expert on the subject of race.  I also admit that I don't know anything about sociology.  I'm a moron and that's really too bad.

When I lived in China I didn't like their food, music, or holidays.  I liked my culture a lot more than I liked thiers. So am I racist after all?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »
I guess we should change the title of the thread.

Any suggestions?
How about

"You can't judge a book by it's cover or a man by his skin, but it's okay to judge a thread by it's title"

"You're racist, you just don't know it"

"I know more about your family than you do"

"Quit starting threads about wrong poo"

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
I'm not saying "ignore it and it will go away"
I'm saying that my children will probably not be influenced by race, so why do black churches have to insist on shoving "the white man is out to get you" down the throat of their patrons?
Do you think that makes blacks less racist?  no way.

I guess I don't fully understand why you think your children will not be influenced by race. Take my children for instance, all of them white. They are not subject to the same societal pressures and prejudices as, say, a Pakistani person, a Chinese person, or an African American person. I can't deny, nor can they, that their upbringing, opportunities, and life trajectories aren influenced to some degree by their race. It's not bad or embarrassing to admit that. In fact, it's probably better. To think otherwise is essentially to deny that culture, history and interracial dynamics have (or should have) any lasting effect, which is patently false and really just a tenuous rationalization for prescribing a certain sphere of acceptable behavior which excludes those on the "other side" of culture, history, and interracial dynamics.

If your children are any less racist than you, then it's because society as a whole progresses in understanding and dealing with racial prejudice, both explicit and implicit. If we don't recognize it's a problem, we have no reason to progress. Who then will help us recognize it's a problem? Are white people going to effectively advocate for the people they oppress? Not most of them.

I realize Rev. Wright wasn't advocating so much; instead his sermon was a matter of a black man preaching to mostly black people about the causes and effects of racism. You're suggesting black people not do such things. I can think of only three ways to rationalize this normative decision. First, you might think people should just let bygones be bygones, but you've specifically renounced this approach by saying we should learn from our past. Second, you might think there's anything to be gained from commiseration with those who best understand how they feel. But this is something all people do when they're bothered by things. Take, for instance, law students. I hear 1Ls complaining just about every other day in the hallway about how they hate law school, they have a problem with some professor or they don't want to do their legal writing. Even if you think there's no rational benefit to such commiseration, that's how people work, and demanding otherwise denies their human nature. Last, and possibly more likely, you might deny they currently face any of the racial prejudices they claim. If that's your argument then I suggest you make it and we'll see how things go.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."