Law School Discussion

SAT to LSAT predictor

lexylit

Re: SAT to LSAT predictor
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2004, 11:50:23 AM »
His 'lobe is superior to yours(and mine) because his lungs haven't spent years sucking...

omg, you scared me for a minute there.

smog. got it. thanks.

and i was going to make the anal comment too...

Re: SAT to LSAT predictor
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2004, 12:21:48 PM »
My predicted score is 10 points lower than my actual score.  I think the formula needs some help.  Either that, or the SAT has no real correlation with the LSAT.

That the formula failed to predict your particular score right on the nose doesn't mean that either 1). it's not the best possible formula for this purpose, or 2). there's no correlation between the two tests.

Right on the nose?  It wasn't even close.  Maybe the formula works for most people, but as a predictor, it doesn't seem very useful.  What's the point of a prediction if it's not reliably accurate?

No offense intended to you by my response, as I do think this is an interesting topic. 

None taken. It's useful in that you can plug in your SAT score and get a ballpark LSAT figure you should be shooting for. There are caveats of course. Many people take the LSAT more seriously than they took the SAT, so if you study twice as hard for the LSAT, your scores won't pair up too well. Or maybe one test really plays to your strengths or weaknesses. If you have very lopsided abilities, it'll be tough to convert between the two.

In general though, the average person won't have lopsided abilities. It's rare for someone to be excellent at verbal and math, but wretched at games and logical reasoning, resulting in a huge SAT/LSAT disparity. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, but because these tests test various things, they tend to average out in the end.