Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help! Saint Louis University vs. Missouri  (Read 4061 times)

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: Please help! Saint Louis University vs. Missouri
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 10:05:57 PM »
It is possible, but MU just doesn't seem like they have the money to negotiate with potential students like many of the private schools do.  I know of a few admitted students who were accepted after the January 11 scholarship deadline and who would have qualified for scholarships, but are also waiting to hear from MU on scholarships.  You will probably hear back on scholarships after people withdraw or let the deposit deadline pass on the 4th.

Thanks for your help! I, too, missed the scholarship deadline at MU...so, if I put down a deposit (at either school, really), and a scholarship student backs out, does that money get reallocated to students who have reserved a seat? Not that I could count on that, but it would ceratinly be nice to have a little more aid I didn't have to pay back!

The money gets reallocated, though I'm not sure if it goes to new acceptances or old ones or what. I do know that SLU's scholarship acceptance deadline is April 1, which means you likely wouldn't hear on that until late April I'm guessing.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

b4its2late

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:11:32 PM »
For what it's worth, I was told during my MU visit that there was additional $$$ available for 2nd and 3rd year students through scholarships and for working with professors who are writing books, etc.  Heard that through admissions rep. so who really knows?  I won't count on it from either school until it's in my hand. 

upgrade - how'd you like the campus, faculty, etc?  I was impressed during my visit, especially the personal library space to study. 

That SLU's library seems crowded is good info for me to consider since I seem to do most of my studying in the library. 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:17:12 AM »
For what it's worth, I was told during my MU visit that there was additional $$$ available for 2nd and 3rd year students through scholarships and for working with professors who are writing books, etc.  Heard that through admissions rep. so who really knows?  I won't count on it from either school until it's in my hand. 

upgrade - how'd you like the campus, faculty, etc?  I was impressed during my visit, especially the personal library space to study. 

That SLU's library seems crowded is good info for me to consider since I seem to do most of my studying in the library. 

I think MU is a very strong option in the State, and I wouldn't hesitate to select it over SLU, KU, or UMKC at comparable cost, when comparing just the law schools.  I just wish it had a stronger ranking/whatever that would yield a larger percentage of the class having options at large firms in Missouri.  At this stage, it is really hard to gauge the grades required to land a decent firm job after graduation and if one is going to make the cut.

I'm sure there are some funds available for research assistants, but I would imagine the pay is minimal.

boilerguy84

• "I've got something to say..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 03:22:52 AM »
i visited SLU and liked it. however, i haven't heard much about how the degree travels. since i don't want to live in STL, i'd be interested in hearing how the degree does in chicago.

one thing that SLU does have is that you can get some awesome italian food on "the hill" in STL. just sayin...
"read a book."
Depaul '11

miljl1

• AOL Instant Messenger - redblackfire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
i visited SLU and liked it. however, i haven't heard much about how the degree travels. since i don't want to live in STL, i'd be interested in hearing how the degree does in chicago.

one thing that SLU does have is that you can get some awesome italian food on "the hill" in STL. just sayin...

I've talked to a few SLU grads who are working in Chicago, so I guess it is possible, but they were also in the top 5% of their class. I'm also considering SLU (and Marquette) and from what I've heard from everyone, it has some really strong programs. I'm just hoping everything other than health law is about as good.

And yeah, the food has to be amazing. I say this because there is a market/deli in my apartment building where I currently live in Memphis called Fino's from the Hill....some of the best food in this city.
Saint Louis University School of Law Class of 2011

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »

Yeah, I've heard that SLU places really well in St. Louis, but not really anywhere too far past that. Maybe KC, I imagine, but I don't really know for sure. Most of the people I know at SLU law fully intend on living and working in St. Louis. Aside from MU, there's really not another local school that puts up much competition for jobs. As some have mentioned before, Wash U. people don't tend to stay in St. Louis. For me, that's perfect that SLU does well in St. Louis, because I've lived in STL my whole life except for college. I have my family, friends, the St. Louis Blues, and as you mentioned, fine Italian cuisine on The Hill, so I don't really want to go anywhere else.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm leaning toward SLU. I really don't feel like moving out of town again. But, as for the original question, I'm beginning to think I can't make a wrong choice as long as I pick the school I'm most comfortable with. I honestly can't find a discernible difference between the two in terms of job prospects or potential employment or additional aid or anything.

I mean, SLU sent me a pretty sweet looking pen. MU didn't. I guess that's the tie-breaker, eh?  :D

b4its2late

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »
MU sent a Happy Holiday Card.  Tied again!

new here

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
The pen wasn't that nice.  Mine broke.   :(

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 12:31:53 AM »
The pen wasn't that nice.  Mine broke.   :(

This is why you can't have nice things. I did like the fancy faux-velvet case it came in.

Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
I mean, SLU sent me a pretty sweet looking pen. MU didn't. I guess that's the tie-breaker, eh?  :D

I'm a fan of it.  Aerodynamic.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...