Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please help! Saint Louis University vs. Missouri  (Read 4034 times)

new here

• View Profile
Please help! Saint Louis University vs. Missouri
« on: March 19, 2008, 05:56:15 PM »
I'm new here and I could use some advice on deciding between these two law schools.  At Mizzou I get in state tuition and SLU gave me a scholarship making it just slightly more expensive.  I would really appreciate some help!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Please help! Saint Louis University vs. Missouri
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
I struggled with this exact same issue this time last year!

I know a little bit more about SLU b/c that's where I ended up going. I think Mizzou has smaller classes. SLU feels really big. I chose SLU b/c I was more interested in health law and their dual-degree programs.

SLU gives you easy access to the St. Louis market. I'm not sure what the OCI process is like at Mizzou, or how easy it is to get to  St. Louis or KC for interviews. If you were looking to get outside of St. Louis, I probably wouldn't recommend it, unless you're going into the health law program. Most of the people who leave town are health law people or have connections somewhere else. I've heard some grumbling from my classmates trying to get jobs in Chicago and not having much luck.

I think if I wasn't sure I wanted to go into health law (and didn't have a bf in town) I probably would have gone with Mizzou. It's going to have the big school/small town atmosphere. SLU is NOT in a nice part of town

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:17:02 PM »
I'm familiar with both, and while SLU isn't in the best part of town, it's relative.  As in, it's dangerous if you're not from a big city.  SLU has good ties to St. Louis, whereas Mizzou has ties all over the state.  Most places will recruit both, and they are close in the rankings, so if I were you I'd visit both to get a feel for the environment.

Mizzou is in a college town from top to bottom.  You can walk from your building to lunch, sit down and eat, and be back in an hour.  SLU will probably require a car ride both ways.  There's a larger variety of options on a Friday night in St. Louis.  However, if you're the type of person that likes to drink a beer on a Friday night and people watch, the people you watch at Mizzou tend to be a little easier on the eyes.  But if you're beyond hanging out at bars and going to football games, then you should lean towards SLU.

And as people have probably told you, SLU specializes in Health Law.  Mizzou, with its incredible journalism school, is more into politics, as many state and local politicians went to UMC.

So in all honesty, I don't think you can go wrong, just pick the one you're more comfortable at- the rural college town or the school integrated into the (relatively) big city.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

b4its2late

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
In the same situation.  I would like to practice in STL and trying to decide between SLU and MU.  I did a limited visit to both schools and found the MU campus and faculty to be superior, BUT it was a limited visit.  If I go to MU I plan on commuting to STL on weekends since STL is where my friends, family and fiancee work/live.

Is a smaller class size better; 150/MU vs. 250/SLU? 

Tuitions are about the same with scholarship offers, but I would have to rent an apt @ MU.  Thinking it would be worth it when it comes to studying to be away from the distractions in STL though.  Good assumption?

The MU attrition rate gives me a little concern; 10.5% at MU vs. 6% at SLU first year and 6.9% at MU vs.2% at SLU second year.  Anyone have a guess on the why it's so high?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
Do you think a lot of people at MU have friends/families/SOs in St. Louis and transfer to WUSTL or SLU?

I really think that 100 people in the class would be noticeable. That's one of the things I don't really like about SLU. Every time there's something involving the whole class (Ex: career services programs at lunch) it feels really chaotic. It also feels like the library is jammed all the time.

But if your family and job search are all in St. Louis, SLU would be much more convenient. I don't think there's a big difference in how the two schools are perceived in the St. Louis job market.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
Wow! Conspiracy! I'm in the same situation as the original poster. Actually - were I to live at home - SLU would be cheaper than Mizzou. For weeks now, I've been telling people I'm going to MU, assuming that MU's tuition was such a good deal that I'd never go to SLU. But my acceptance came today with the scholarship offer and I have a decision to make. Granted, a good decision to have to make, but still...

One deciding factor could be additional scholarship for good performance. It's pretty easy to keep my scholarship at SLU, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how likely additional scholarship is at each school? Does either school give out additional scholarship money for high class rank after the first year?

new here

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:04:10 PM »
I was wondering also about scholarships given after the first year.  I also have ties to St. Louis, all my family and friends are here and I have lived here most of my life, went to undergrad here at WUSTL, so leaving seems a little scary even if it is only a couple hours away to Columbia.  I'm not planning on going into Health Law, so maybe MU would be the better choice because of the small class size.  It sounds like that is an important factor.  I'm going up to visit Mizzou on Friday so we'll see what happens after that.  Mizzou didn't give me any scholarship, do you know if I would possibly have any luck getting some money if I tell them that I'm deciding between two schools and the other gave me a scholarship? 

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
I am in Missouri and have considered both schools.  SLU has more dual degree options and specialties that make it more appealing for some.  MU's specialty is ADR, which from what I was told today at the MU ASD, is probably not a very lucrative specialty for new graduates.  If you are committed to St. Louis for the long haul, I don't think it matters which school you attend.  If not, MU is probably the better choice.  At either school, if you are looking to secure a large firm job, you will probably need to be in the top 15-10% and interview well.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
Do you think a lot of people at MU have friends/families/SOs in St. Louis and transfer to WUSTL or SLU?

I can't think of many situations where it would be beneficial to transfer to WUSTL or SLU.  If you were to transfer to WUSTL, you would probably need to achieve pretty decent grades to do so.  When you transfer, you lose those good grades in terms of calculating your GPA, which means that you will be starting over.  You could end up in the bottom half of the class.  If your goal is St. Louis, I think I would rather be in the top 15% at MU than the bottom half at WUSTL. 

One deciding factor could be additional scholarship for good performance. It's pretty easy to keep my scholarship at SLU, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how likely additional scholarship is at each school? Does either school give out additional scholarship money for high class rank after the first year?

From what it seems, schools will increase scholarship funds only if you are a flight risk.  If you are already attending the school and don't have the grades to transfer up to a significantly better school, there is little incentive for the school to spend more money on you.

Mizzou didn't give me any scholarship, do you know if I would possibly have any luck getting some money if I tell them that I'm deciding between two schools and the other gave me a scholarship? 

It is possible, but MU just doesn't seem like they have the money to negotiate with potential students like many of the private schools do.  I know of a few admitted students who were accepted after the January 11 scholarship deadline and who would have qualified for scholarships, but are also waiting to hear from MU on scholarships.  You will probably hear back on scholarships after people withdraw or let the deposit deadline pass on the 4th.

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »
It is possible, but MU just doesn't seem like they have the money to negotiate with potential students like many of the private schools do.  I know of a few admitted students who were accepted after the January 11 scholarship deadline and who would have qualified for scholarships, but are also waiting to hear from MU on scholarships.  You will probably hear back on scholarships after people withdraw or let the deposit deadline pass on the 4th.

Thanks for your help! I, too, missed the scholarship deadline at MU...so, if I put down a deposit (at either school, really), and a scholarship student backs out, does that money get reallocated to students who have reserved a seat? Not that I could count on that, but it would ceratinly be nice to have a little more aid I didn't have to pay back!