Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financial Aid Appeal  (Read 467 times)

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Financial Aid Appeal
« on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

I received my financial aid award letter from Temple the other day and was surprised at how little they are helping out given my EFC was 0.  I was honestly hoping for significantly more grant money.  My numbers do not really put me in line for a merit based scholarship since my LSAT is around their 25% level of their class but I feel that there may be some extenuating economic circumstances, basically economic background/history in my family that may warrant further need-based consideration. 

Is this common or should I just wait to see what other schools say first since I have not received any other financial aid awards yet so maybe I don't have much leverage. 

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Financial Aid Appeal
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »
I hear you. I'm dirt poor myself (EFC definitely 0)...but I was only offered about 50% of the total cost of attending in grants. So even though I'm literally penniless, I have to come up with 50% of the total cost of law school (obviously through loans). Considering my credentials are below average for the school I was accepted to, I also won't get any merit-based awards. It's a far cry from undergrad where I was given somewhere around 98% of the total cost of attending college in grants and scholarships. With that said, I doubt many law schools would change their offer because students "can't afford it"...They'll probably just direct you to the plethora of loans available.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Cloggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:03:42 PM »
I know a number of people who are applying now and for the most part are getting nearly all their aid from merit grants.

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:44:09 PM »
If you dont mind, what schools are they getting these grants from?
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:14:49 PM »
If you dont mind, what schools are they getting these grants from?

Bump. Please, I'd really like to know. It seems like all my aid is through loans, and I fully expected that to be the case. Now people are talking about grant aid, and quite honestly, I didn't think law schools granted aid except in rare cases. Did my efc of $461 put me beyond grant aid? Seriously though, does this happen to students who aren't URM?