Law School Discussion

Financial Aid Appeal

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Financial Aid Appeal
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
Hey everyone,

I received my financial aid award letter from Temple the other day and was surprised at how little they are helping out given my EFC was 0.  I was honestly hoping for significantly more grant money.  My numbers do not really put me in line for a merit based scholarship since my LSAT is around their 25% level of their class but I feel that there may be some extenuating economic circumstances, basically economic background/history in my family that may warrant further need-based consideration. 

Is this common or should I just wait to see what other schools say first since I have not received any other financial aid awards yet so maybe I don't have much leverage. 

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Re: Financial Aid Appeal
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:23:04 PM »
I hear you. I'm dirt poor myself (EFC definitely 0)...but I was only offered about 50% of the total cost of attending in grants. So even though I'm literally penniless, I have to come up with 50% of the total cost of law school (obviously through loans). Considering my credentials are below average for the school I was accepted to, I also won't get any merit-based awards. It's a far cry from undergrad where I was given somewhere around 98% of the total cost of attending college in grants and scholarships. With that said, I doubt many law schools would change their offer because students "can't afford it"...They'll probably just direct you to the plethora of loans available.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »
I know a number of people who are applying now and for the most part are getting nearly all their aid from merit grants.

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »
If you dont mind, what schools are they getting these grants from?

jammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
If you dont mind, what schools are they getting these grants from?

Bump. Please, I'd really like to know. It seems like all my aid is through loans, and I fully expected that to be the case. Now people are talking about grant aid, and quite honestly, I didn't think law schools granted aid except in rare cases. Did my efc of $461 put me beyond grant aid? Seriously though, does this happen to students who aren't URM?