Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-applying next cycle...  (Read 511 times)

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re-applying next cycle...
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:42:35 PM »
For those current students who decided to forego matriculation and re-apply in a subsequent admissions cycle...

What prompted your decision?  What aspects of your application changed (i.e. improved LSAT score, advanced degree, etc.)?  Did you feel that having applied in a previous cycle negatively impacted your subsequent application to the same school?  What advice would you have for someone considering re-applying next cycle, despite offers of admission for 2008?
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

Blondie918

• View Profile
Re: Re-applying next cycle...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 03:08:08 PM »
I wasn't sure law school was really what I wanted to do, and after hearing so many horror stories I decided to get a job in the field and figure it out from there.  If you only want to take a year off and explore other options I would call the schools you were accepted to and see if they will allow you to defer a year.

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »
I applied for '05/'06 originally, but shot off a grad school application when I was getting nervous about not hearing from anyone...long story short, I got accepted to grad school and went off to London for a year (which turned into two and a short stint in the Peace Corps and six months working "for" the Federal Government). But, before I made that decision, I'd actually already put down a seat deposit at a law school.

Differences? My LSAT went up by 4 points when I took it for fun and not because I'd studied, I have a masters that's directly related to the kind of law I want to pursue (which I think makes people take the whole "I want to do international human rights law" thing more seriously), and I've traveled a great deal.

I'm certain the time off helped, but it was also (obviously) longer than a year. And I'm not sure which of the things I've done since undergrad helped the most, but I'm having a much better cycle than last time around. Good luck!
Georgetown c/o 2011

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:33 AM »
I applied last cycle and decided to reapply because I knew none of the schools where I was admitted was for me. I decided to re-take the LSAT and re-apply. Unfortunately I only did one point better on the actual test despite higher practice test scores and hours of studying. I was really discouraged but I still decided to apply to all of the schools I wanted including some I was rejected from last year. I also got a job because I was already out of school. It's nothing really spectacular IMO. My GPA was also slightly higher this cycle...but not by much to make a huge difference. I also decided to write a new PS but I kept all of my other essays the same. I was admitted into all the schools where I was accepted last year so re-applying didn't seem to hurt me at all on that end. And to my suprise, I was admitted to quite a few schools this year where I was rejected last year. Overall this cycle has been ten times better and there is not any one thing that I can point to that led to this result. If you decide you want to re-apply, make sure first it is something you really want to do. IMO to apply with the same exact application you already had is pointless. Either raise your LSAT, GPA or both or try gaining some work experience if you don't already have any. I wouldn't go to school this fall if you don't feel ready or feel happy with the choices you have. Take some time to decide whether or not law is really for you. You def don't need to be distracted 1L yr by being unhappy with your school choice/surroundings or unhappy with studying the law.