Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Single life and law school  (Read 14790 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Single life and law school
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
They sound like the XOXO of chain retail clothing stores...

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »
i love it when people judge others based on their clothing.

Preppy isn't a style of dress, it's a state of mind.  One that's quite common among law students, I imagine (at least in my worst nightmares).

You're so counter-culture.  Let's get together and drink exotic coffee and listen to bands that are so edgy they haven't even been formed yet.  Then we can take in an indie flick and dye our hair all different colors.

Oh, @#!* off.  All I'm saying is something fairly innocuous: that in choosing a style of dress, you are indicating a social/lifestyle group to which you belong or would like to belong.  It doesn't matter if it's fair, or if that's the intent of whoever is wearing the clothing; that's just how it is.

And, you know, WTF is wrong with wanting to date someone who'd rather go to punk shows and foreign films than put gel in their hair and watch sports?  FWIW, I've dated preppy dudes before.  They were cool and all, but I had nothing in common with them.  End of story.  

I know.  I don't make friends with people that don't wear polos.  It's just part of my preppiness to talk *&^% about weirdos who go to punk shows and foreign films.
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
i love it when people judge others based on their clothing.

Preppy isn't a style of dress, it's a state of mind.  One that's quite common among law students, I imagine (at least in my worst nightmares).

You're so counter-culture.  Let's get together and drink exotic coffee and listen to bands that are so edgy they haven't even been formed yet.  Then we can take in an indie flick and dye our hair all different colors.

Oh, @#!* off.  All I'm saying is something fairly innocuous: that in choosing a style of dress, you are indicating a social/lifestyle group to which you belong or would like to belong.  It doesn't matter if it's fair, or if that's the intent of whoever is wearing the clothing; that's just how it is.

And, you know, WTF is wrong with wanting to date someone who'd rather go to punk shows and foreign films than put gel in their hair and watch sports?  FWIW, I've dated preppy dudes before.  They were cool and all, but I had nothing in common with them.  End of story. 
Not to be a total schlong aout it, but punk kids don't put gel in their hair?

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
I find myself attracted to people with unique and exciting features. I would be as excited about dating a huge anime fangirl as I would be dating a world class violinist and art snob.

As for punk vs. preppy, I used to only date preppy, and be kind of disturbed by punk girls, but then I fell in love with a girl with 4 piercings in her face. Mmmm. Sexy.

Don't discriminate, people... Appreciate!

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
I find myself attracted to people with unique and exciting features. I would be as excited about dating a huge anime fangirl as I would be dating a world class violinist and art snob.

As for punk vs. preppy, I used to only date preppy, and be kind of disturbed by punk girls, but then I fell in love with a girl with 4 piercings in her face. Mmmm. Sexy.

Don't discriminate, people... Appreciate!

No thanks.  I find it's a lot easier to find people to make fun of if you're as closed-minded as possible.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
girls have to be really hot in order to pull off facial piercings.  hot enough that they'd be hot without them.

<--- likes punk chicks, goth chicks, guidettes, preppy chicks, athletic chicks...pretty much anything but bleach blondes...
Ditto, but nix the guidettes. I'll let Stotan have those.

She was pretty cute, dude. I'll send you a pic.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
girls have to be really hot in order to pull off facial piercings.  hot enough that they'd be hot without them.

<--- likes punk chicks, goth chicks, guidettes, preppy chicks, athletic chicks...pretty much anything but bleach blondes...

good, i don't like you either.
She wasn't as cute as stef tho.  :-*

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »

good, i don't like you either.

you just tell yourself that because you know it would be fruitless ;D
Oh snap. Don't talk about my Stef that way!  >:( ::Anger::

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
for example, dischord, during my georgetown interview i told my interviewer how much i love to read and what kind of books i'd been reading lately.  her response was something to the effect of "wow, when i saw you i didn't expect you to be the kind of person who reads."  i found that really insulting.

haha.  She probably just assumed you couldn't read the label that said 'use a nickel or dime-sized amount of this hair gel.'

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Bearly, you need Elmer's Glue to do that.  And I wouldn't any more readily date a dude with a mohawk that ridiculous than I would someone whose entire wardrobe consisted of Brooks' Brothers.  Contrary to what y'all might be assuming, I don't look like that dude.  

Look, Stotan, what I meant by the original statement wasn't that people were going to dress like asshats.  What I meant was that I was probably going to be surrounded by people who have different interests from me for the most part, and I think that my fear of being lonely among my classmates is somewhat justified.  

i don't think it's justified at all.  just because i wear j. crew doesn't mean that i only like movies with will ferrell in them.  your original post made assumptions about people's personality characteristics based on what they wear.  i love wearing purple.  what does that say?

You seem to be missing the point, unless you disagree with the idea that there's a set of cultural attitudes that the word "preppy" connotes, that may CORRELATE with a style of dress but isn't intrinsically tied to it.   ???  What I was just saying is that in my OP I didn't mean to refer to, like, J. Crew.

Also, that is really insulting what your interviewer said.  I would have punched someone in the face for that.

I'd be sort of pleased if i didn't come across as the nerdy, book-worm type.  Not sure wtf you guys have against being cool.