Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vanderbilt Employment Data (Jobs of each 200 graduates)  (Read 5853 times)

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Entire Vanderbilt Employment Data with starting salaries
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
The fact that Vanderbilt releases this kind of information is awesome.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
The 50k is actually the minimum amount for non-clerks and non-public service. So the PD would presumably not be included.

I'm working on making the spreadsheet a little better, with a tad more information about the firms where there is no salary data right now. I've actually come across a few market-paying firms that were overlooked by both of us the first time through, so the numbers are actually going to be a bit higher. I'll probably add some graphs and stuff too, simply because the whole point of this exercise for me is to make it even easier to choose Vanderbilt over Cornell.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:08:48 PM »
Thanks.  That's pretty interesting.  I'm undecided about Vanderbilt, as well.  I wasn't sure about their placement outside of the South - but it looks like a decent number of grads wound up elsewhere.  Hmmmm...
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
I'm defining biglaw as jobs paying 100k+.  If you define it as "paying market," the number would be substantially lower.

Explain this a little more.

and yes, this is a CDO survey - most schools have this data, although its getting difficult to squeeze them out of the schools.  I'm going to write a how-to on getting this data.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:03:05 PM »
I think the list of job placements might be incorrect. For instance, I see the spreadsheet as listing 2 Vandy grads at Howry in DC. But on their website I don't see Howry as having any associates from Vanderbilt in their DC office. Perhaps I checked the Howry website incorrectly?
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Rigel Rising

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »
Or the website isn't updated.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 06:13:53 PM »
Or the website isn't updated.

Good point. The only problem is that the spreadsheet lists the 2 as starting in the early summer of last year. Law firms usually add their new hires to their website ASAP.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

donwario

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
I think the list of job placements might be incorrect. For instance, I see the spreadsheet as listing 2 Vandy grads at Howry in DC. But on their website I don't see Howry as having any associates from Vanderbilt in their DC office. Perhaps I checked the Howry website incorrectly?

Maybe they were already fired  :D

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 06:21:11 PM »
I've run into this a little too, but usually only at the smaller firms. My guess is that these people did not pass the bar or the site has not been updated. I'll look into the Howrey firm to see if I run into the same issue.

I've also updated this data a bit. I'll have TheDecider give me editing access to get the google spreadsheet up to date, and then also upload my xls file somewhere with better formatting and filtering. I've corrected a few of the salaries, all upward, and found 3 others making market in their city (sometimes with NALP you have to search by city instead of firm for whatever reason) that weren't already included as having a salary.

botbot: to expand on what he meant about 100k+ being "biglaw", you have to understand the reason we're both curious about this data. We're both concerned about making X dollars, and we're defining biglaw as anything that does that. This is without a doubt 'wrong' in the sense that there's no necessity between salary and biglaw (as biglaw is something like 250 attorneys or whatever), but that's not a concern for either of us at this point. It's a debt concern.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011