Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vandy $$$$ vs UT $$ vs Cornell  (Read 828 times)

tanisham

• View Profile
Vandy $$$$ vs UT $$ vs Cornell
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »
Hi.  I'm new to this site and in need of assistance.  I got into Vandy with a $105K scholarship and UTx with $28K.   I want to work somewhere in the South.  Cornell haven't offered me anything.  I'm still waiting on NYU but I don't think they will take me because of my LSAT (155) although I have a great LORS and a high GPA (3.6) and am a urm.  Is Cornell worth the debt?  If not, should I take Vandy over UT?  I love Austin but can I pass up $105,000?  Help. 

sept2007lsat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vandy $$$$ vs UT $$ vs Cornell
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »
Vandy

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
I sure hope it's a flame because I got waaay higher and didn't get those scholarship offers at either school. Makes me want to ding those schools because of it.

tanisham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:04 PM »
I sure hope it's a flame because I got waaay higher and didn't get those scholarship offers at either school. Makes me want to ding those schools because of it.
Sorry.  I had lots of ECs and interesting soft factors. I guess those made up for my LSAT score. I am totally surprised at having these schools to choose from.  I really do need some input.  I'm tempted by Cornell because it's T14.  I think I may want to practice in TX to be close to family, so that would make UT a better choice than Vandy right?  Probably not $80K better though.  Help.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
This has got to be flame.  UT didn't offer me that much and I have way better numbers.  If it's true, seriously wtf, that's ridiculous. 

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Sorry.  I had lots of ECs and interesting soft factors. I guess those made up for my LSAT score.

Me too. It'd be hard to have more soft factors or EC activity than I did. Oh well, it's good to know which schools really want me and which ones don't.  ;)

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
This has got to be flame.  UT didn't offer me that much and I have way better numbers.  If it's true, seriously wtf, that's ridiculous. 

Agreed!

OTOH, I'd love to hear some advice for the OP. I'm in a semi-similar situation with other schools, and am interested in reading reactions to this thread.

countbizaller

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »
Here's some info to compare the schools.  Take all of this with a grain of salt however.  Maybe there'll be something in here that'll help those struggling between the various money offers of these schools.

US News Combined Reputation Scores
Cornell: 8.5
UT: 8.3
Vandy: 8.0

V100 Placement
Cornell: 43%
UT: 28.7%
Vandy: 19.0%

Federal Clerkship Placement
Cornell: 3.1%
UT: 4.5%
Vandy: 4.0%

Supreme Court Clerkship Placement
1991-2005
Cornell: 1
UT: 11
Vandy: 3
1996-2006
UT: 9
Vandy: 2
2000-2007
UT: 4
Vandy: 1

National Law School Placement Score (Calvin Study)
Cornell: 76
UT: 77
Vandy: 71

Placement in Law Teaching 2003-2007
Cornell: 4
UT: 13
Vandy: 3

Placement in "Best" Teaching Jobs 2006
Cornell: 2
UT: 4
Vandy : N/A

UT Law '11

tanisham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »
No not a flame.  If you check out LSN you will see lots of urms get into lots of great schools with low LSAT scores.  Someone on there got into Northwestern with a 151.  I believe that admissions committees do look at things other than numbers.  I've pretty much decided that Vandy is the place for me.  I am so excited about the opportunities it will give me and the lack of debt I'll have in compatrison with everybody else.  I am so excited and I want to wish everyone luck with there applications.