Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: gay thing  (Read 2047 times)

kmlalhs

• View Profile
gay thing
« on: March 19, 2008, 02:37:37 AM »
I'm a foreigner and my country is conservative.

I want to study about human right and become a person who speaks for minorities.

The thing is I'm a lesbian and it is one of the big reason why I want to study the law. 

Should I write that I'm a lesbian or not?

I'm afraid that I could be descriminated

and I don't think people will welcome another lesbian from foreign country.

I need your opinion. It's killing me.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: gay thing
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 02:44:59 AM »
Highly doubt you will be discriminated against, but I am not sure it's a great idea to make being a lesbian the focal point of your PS.  Then again, if it is THE reason you want to become an attorney, maybe you should make it the focal point.

kmlalhs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:01:45 AM »
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

I don't want to be a gay girl screaming gay rights.

But it is big part of me and why I became who I am.

There is no gay man on the surface in my country but there are so many gay students commit suicide.

I just want to do what I can do.

I wasn't afraid to come out to my parents but this personal statement is harder than I thought.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 03:05:13 AM »
At most schools, you will not face discrimination in admissions for coming out in your application.  If this is a central reason you want to come to the U.S. and be an attorney, it seems like a good topic for your personal statement if you can write on this topic without ending up in an uncomfortable position at home.  Of course, your personal security (with your family, in your country) should come first.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

AppleDuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:58:38 PM »
Coming out should be okay, as long you do not go over the top with it.

And if you do come out, do not apply to any Catholic Universities.  FYI I am not kidding
Pacific McGeorge '11

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:23 PM »

And if you do come out, do not apply to any Catholic Universities.  FYI I am not kidding

I think it really depends on the Catholic university, no?  Fordham =/= Ave Maria.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »

I think it really depends on the Catholic university, no?  Fordham =/= Ave Maria.

GULC is a Catholic university as well, but I imagine it is not discriminatory.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53:18 AM »
GULC is a Catholic university as well, but I imagine it is not discriminatory.

It depends on what you mean by discriminatory, but I doubt it discriminates in admissions.  I just chose Fordham randomly.  There are dozens of Catholic schools.

lawandethan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »
I'd stay away from the topic.  Good personal statements are more positive and less "personal."  Regardless of what other posters have said, very few people reading these essays will be homosexuals and you will face at a minimum subconscious discrimination.

RedNinja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »
Hmm... Well, I'm gay and came out in my essay (in a positive and uplifting way) and I got into...

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
NYU
... the list goes on =)

To be honest, I think my LSAT held me back at Yale, my lack of a "Why Penn" essay held me back at Penn. The only two schools where I think I might have faced discrimination are UChicago (almost positive I didn't get in b/c of sexual orientation) and UCLA (I have no idea what's going on there)

There you go =)