Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Hofstra that bad?  (Read 3167 times)

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Is Hofstra that bad?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »
It's all relative.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:35:28 PM »
In order to get hired into a big firm from any school right out of school you have to be in the top 10%.  Out of the 4 attorneys I work with that are under 30 they all worked in smaller firms for 2-3 years before coming here... they went to Penn, Villanova, Temple, and GW.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaha

This is patently false. Please ignore any advice from this poster.

This is not false information as I work with these people every day and believe me I have had long discussions with them.  They will tell that yes the prestige of your school do matter, but you also have to excel and you also have to interview.  You can be the smartest person on earth, but if you are as dull as the wall sitting in front of me how are you going to impress anyone. 

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
In order to get hired into a big firm from any school right out of school you have to be in the top 10%.  Out of the 4 attorneys I work with that are under 30 they all worked in smaller firms for 2-3 years before coming here... they went to Penn, Villanova, Temple, and GW.

This is not false information as I work with these people every day and believe me I have had long discussions with them.  They will tell that yes the prestige of your school do matter, but you also have to excel and you also have to interview.  You can be the smartest person on earth, but if you are as dull as the wall sitting in front of me how are you going to impress anyone. 

::)

How're you going to impress anyone if you can't form a coherent thought or argument?

See here. It's slightly out of date but sufficient to prove my point.

defense

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Which other schools are you looking at? 

Here's a faculty ranking you may want to consider:

http://law.rwu.edu/facultyproductivity/

You can't put that much faith in a ranking from one of the lowest ranked law schools in the country that places itself in the top of anything.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »
wait...what?

You're never getting a job, that's what.

-

OP - sorry for getting a bit off track. How "bad" Hofstra is depends on what your career goals are, what your debt will be coming out, etc. If there are conditions on your scholarship, be wary.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
Which other schools are you looking at? 

Here's a faculty ranking you may want to consider:

http://law.rwu.edu/facultyproductivity/

You can't put that much faith in a ranking from one of the lowest ranked law schools in the country that places itself in the top of anything.

Cooley 2?

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 01:05:08 PM »

I don't know what cult brainwashed you, but ask for you money back, unless you want to see hiring partners at V10 firms laugh in your face when you tell them 10% at Harvard and 10% at Touro is the same thing because you both "had to excel"

GetUpGetDown

• Yer Straight Trippin Boo
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shupey02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »
Well Hofstra is just a safety school and the first to give me a response. The scholarship is $25k per year w/ no strings. My other apps went to: Baylor, Case Western (#1 Choice), Marquette, The OSU, Pitt, Nova, and Temple.

159, 3.75
Case Western '11

LSN

poland

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
How does that data at all prove your point?  Over 60% of Columbia's class was employed at a v25 law firm.  60% of the class can't be in the top 10% of the class.

Also, if you want big law out of Hofstra make law review and then clerk.  If you do those two things, you're set.  If you don't, it will be a lot more difficult to get a job.  Also, don't bank on moving up the corporate law food chain laterally.  It is not easy to move from a small firm to a top big firm.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »
How does that data at all prove your point?  Over 60% of Columbia's class was employed at a v25 law firm.  60% of the class can't be in the top 10% of the class.

???

you seem to be confused, dear. I posted that to contradict blondie's claim that you need to be in the top 10% at any school to get a job at a large firm upon graduation.