Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Hofstra that bad?  (Read 3137 times)

GetUpGetDown

• Yer Straight Trippin Boo
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shupey02
    • View Profile
Is Hofstra that bad?
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:46:30 PM »
I just got an acceptance from Hofstra today with a $25,000 scholarship :), but over the past few months I've only heard horrible things about the school :(. Anyone out there that can change my negative perceptions? :-\
Case Western '11

LSN

miljl1

• AOL Instant Messenger - redblackfire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Hofstra that bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
I also got into Hofstra, but I've only heard bad things...bad location, can't compete in the NY job market, etc.
Saint Louis University School of Law Class of 2011

mzing12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:56:32 AM »
Didn't David Paterson, the new NYS governor graduate from Hofstra Law?

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
In my opinion there is no bad ABA accredited law school.  I work at a large firm and just did an education search for Hofstra in our attorney database, there are nearly 10 attorneys here that graduated from Hofstra law school, the most recent being 2005.  It's not impossible to be in BigLaw without going to a T14 school, you just have to work hard.  From what I've learned from talking to partners here is that they will look at any candidate from any school as long as they fit the bill, meaning they were in the top 10%.  She said that this goes for everyone whether you go to Cooley or Harvard, you have to excel to make it in BigLaw.

Viking Quest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:56:53 AM »
Which other schools are you looking at? 

Here's a faculty ranking you may want to consider:

http://law.rwu.edu/facultyproductivity/

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
Which other schools are you looking at? 

Here's a faculty ranking you may want to consider:

http://law.rwu.edu/facultyproductivity/

Thanks, this was really helpful!

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
In my opinion there is no bad ABA accredited law school.  I work at a large firm and just did an education search for Hofstra in our attorney database, there are nearly 10 attorneys here that graduated from Hofstra law school, the most recent being 2005.  It's not impossible to be in BigLaw without going to a T14 school, you just have to work hard.  From what I've learned from talking to partners here is that they will look at any candidate from any school as long as they fit the bill, meaning they were in the top 10%.  She said that this goes for everyone whether you go to Cooley or Harvard, you have to excel to make it in BigLaw.

You have to be in the top 10% at HLS to work at your firm?

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
In order to get hired into a big firm from any school right out of school you have to be in the top 10%.  Out of the 4 attorneys I work with that are under 30 they all worked in smaller firms for 2-3 years before coming here... they went to Penn, Villanova, Temple, and GW.

poland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »
That is not true at all.  I work one of the ten largest firms in the US.  You only need to be in the 10% if you didn't go to a Top 25ish school.  Many, many lawyers here were only in the top fourth, third, or when you if you're from HYS, top half of their class.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
In order to get hired into a big firm from any school right out of school you have to be in the top 10%.  Out of the 4 attorneys I work with that are under 30 they all worked in smaller firms for 2-3 years before coming here... they went to Penn, Villanova, Temple, and GW.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaha

This is patently false. Please ignore any advice from this poster.