Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will I be taken at all seriously?  (Read 1845 times)

bunnyfarm

• View Profile
Will I be taken at all seriously?
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
Hi--

Can anybody offer me insight?  I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but am studying like crazy--and so far doing great on practice tests, with plenty of study time left until June.

Anyway... here's my situation.  I graduated with about a 3.2/3.3 GPA from a tier 1 school (ranked in the mid nineties each year, usually).  Here's the thing--I finished my BA when I was 19 years old, after only a year and a half of college.  So, I was overloading on classes, working part time, and--to top it off--dealing with a troubled/abusive family situation in high school (hence my not having applied to a stellar college for undergrad).  Now I'm 23, more mature, and with some good work experience behind me, and aiming for law school...

So... assuming I do well on the LSAT and end up being a "split", are the, let's say, top 20 law schools even going to read my personal statement and consider me... or will they just cash my application check and toss my papers into the trash because of my GPA?

If yes to the previous, would I still get serious consideration if I scored something lower than a Knock-Em-Dead score--maybe 160-165?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
 ???

Somewhere

• View Profile
Re: Will I be taken at all seriously?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
Was the reason you raced through due to your family situation?

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
Assuming you can explain your story (what you were going through, your maturation process) in your personal statement and a GPA addendum I think schools will take you seriously.  The kind of school that takes you seriously, though, is going to depend on your LSAT score.  I think if you hit 170+ you should be able to make it into the top 25, maybe the lower T-14 depending on soft factors.  A 173+ would give you a shot at most of the T-14, outside of HYS, Berkeley, and maybe Columbia.  As to your second question, you would still get serious consideration if you scored in the 160-165 range, but it would be for schools in the T1/T2 range.  Again, as long as you can spin your life experience in a positive way where you get in is really going to depend on your LSAT. 

bunnyfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
Was the reason you raced through due to your family situation?

That could be said, yes.  I was living with my best friend's family and needed to finish school to start supporting myself.

Is there anything I can do to bring up my GPA, or is it done?  I'm working on a professional certificate at UCSD right now... but I suppose the grades from that can't be added to my undergrad?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:46:40 PM »
Undergrad GPA is done. Slay the LSAT and you definitely stand a chance with a great PS and a  GPA addendum. Like indyguy said, which schools you stand a chance at will be decided by your LSAT score.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:34:23 PM »
The LSAT will make or break you with the GPA that you have.  But if you had the capacity to do UG so fast with still a decent GPA, you should be fine on the LSAT.

Your professional certificate won't help your GPA, but may help your resume if you're on the cusp of in or out.

I had a Paralegal Certificate from USD, and it helped my odds of getting into law school.

good luck!

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:35:09 PM »
You didn't mention in your OP, but you wouldn't happen to be URM would you?
I'm really happy with my school!!!