Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bush's lead has evaporated,  (Read 3159 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bush's lead has evaporated,
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2004, 07:29:10 PM »
Not sure about the repercussions the doctors felt.  There was a huge settlement, though, and if the actual case didn't drive them out of practice, I'm willing to bet their increased malpractice insurance costs and their tranished reputations did.
doctors went out of business? don't they have malpractice insurance?

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2004, 07:29:20 PM »
show the evidence
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2004, 07:32:26 PM »
Its been a while since I've read the case.  I'll see if I can find it.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2004, 07:34:04 PM »
what does this have to do with being a good VEEP anyway? and how can we make conclusions on the guy from one case?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2004, 07:39:44 PM »
Here is not the specific case, but details about a related type of case that emphasizes my point...

Edwards became one of America's wealthiest trial lawyers by winning record jury verdicts and settlements in cases alleging that the botched treatment of women in labor and their deliveries caused infants to develop cerebral palsy, a brain disorder that causes motor function impairment and lifelong disability.

Although he was involved in other types of personal injury litigation, Edwards specialized in infant cerebral palsy and brain damage cases during his early days as a trial lawyer and with the Raleigh, N.C., firm of Edwards & Kirby.

But some of Edwards' critics say that as a trial lawyer, he relied more on his verbal skills than the latest scientific evidence to persuade juries that the doctors' mistakes had been instrumental in causing the cerebral palsy in the infants.

Edwards' trial summaries "routinely went beyond a recitation of his case to a heart-wrenching plea to jurors to listen to the unspoken voices of injured children," according to a comprehensive analysis of Edwards' legal career by The Boston Globe in 2003.

The Globe cited an example of Edwards' oratorical skills from a medical malpractice trial in 1985. Edwards had alleged that a doctor and a hospital had been responsible for the cerebral palsy afflicting then-five-year-old Jennifer Campbell.

'I have to tell you right now -- I didn't plan to talk about this -- right now I feel her (Jennifer), I feel her presence,' Edwards told the jury according to court records. "[Jennifer's] inside me and she's talking to you ... And this is what she says to you. She says, 'I don't ask for your pity. What I ask for is your strength. And I don't ask for your sympathy, but I do ask for your courage.'"

The cause of cerebral palsy has been debated since the 19th century. Some medical studies dating back to at least the 1980s asserted that doctors could do very little to cause cerebral palsy during the birthing process. Two new studies in 2003 further undermined the scientific premise of the high profile court cases that helped Edwards become a multi-millionaire and finance his own successful campaign for the U.S. Senate.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2004, 07:41:03 PM »
I never really said it would reflect how he is as a VP, but I have trouble voting for a person I don't respect.  Besides, Kerry harps on his service on the military, why can't I harp on Edwards career as a lawyer?

what does this have to do with being a good VEEP anyway? and how can we make conclusions on the guy from one case?

foxnewssucks

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2004, 07:45:27 PM »
thats cool, but I really do not see what the problem is.  He was an advocate and a damn good speaker, he won cases that maybe weren't that solid... its like faulting a defense attorney for getting a guilty person off, but maybe you have a problem with that as well.

I never really said it would reflect how he is as a VP, but I have trouble voting for a person I don't respect.  Besides, Kerry harps on his service on the military, why can't I harp on Edwards career as a lawyer?

foxnewssucks

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2004, 07:50:35 PM »
thats cool, but I really do not see what the problem is.  He was an advocate and a damn good speaker, he won cases that maybe weren't that solid... its like faulting a defense attorney for getting a guilty person off, but maybe you have a problem with that as well.

The problem with this is that people are now dying because Dr.'s who can't afford malpractice insurance are leaving practice and Edwards is trolling around with a $40 million fortune.

I can't vote for people I don't entirely respect either, which is largely why I'm still undecided.

who the hell is dying?  This is absurd.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2004, 07:52:18 PM »
He is a damn good speaker, and a damn good lawyer.  My problem has mostly do to with the fact that in malpractice suits, the burden of proof rests on the plantif to prove that the doctor was negligent.  I just don't see how a laywer could accomplish this morally without relying on factual evidence.  I would probably say the same thing about a defense attorney if he or she focused on more on manipulating the emotions of a jury rather than the facts.  Whether or not they got a guilty person off is not my concern.  I'm refering more towards the means than the end.

thats cool, but I really do not see what the problem is. He was an advocate and a damn good speaker, he won cases that maybe weren't that solid... its like faulting a defense attorney for getting a guilty person off, but maybe you have a problem with that as well.

I never really said it would reflect how he is as a VP, but I have trouble voting for a person I don't respect.  Besides, Kerry harps on his service on the military, why can't I harp on Edwards career as a lawyer?

foxnewssucks

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2004, 07:52:30 PM »
you guys should start arguing that tax breaks for the wealthy are beneficial or something... at least one could possibly defend this view, but this other stuff is garbage.