Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Multiple Seat Deposits?  (Read 10341 times)

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Seat Deposits?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »
Schools do not like this.  I talked to a BC ad-com about this, and he said that it makes him really mad when students do that.  Applicants have sufficient time to decide on what school they wish to attend before deposits are due, and if this is not the case, an applicant can ask for an extension.

And I get mad when schools defer or waitlist me.  They've had time to make the decision.  Tough.

Neither side is in love with the process.  It is what it is.  They're trying to get their best class, we're trying to get our best school.

If they don't clearly state this when they admit you, you have no obligation to not cross-deposit.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

scholar321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

What schools are you talking about?

It can be construed as greedy/bad form, but if you don't try, you'll never know.  And, you have nothing to lose since I haven't heard of any schools rescinding offers of admissions or scholarships for asking them a simple financial question.

PMed

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »
Schools do not like this.  I talked to a BC ad-com about this, and he said that it makes him really mad when students do that.  Applicants have sufficient time to decide on what school they wish to attend before deposits are due, and if this is not the case, an applicant can ask for an extension.

Asking for extensions is also an option.  I forgot about that one.  Plus it saves you money!

I asked for an extension to one school b/c the ASW for its competition is after their seat deposit deadline. I got a 'no'. I CLEARLY cannot choose school A without seeing school B.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

Asking for extensions is also an option.  I forgot about that one.  Plus it saves you money!

I asked for an extension to one school b/c the ASW for its competition is after their seat deposit deadline. I got a 'no'. I CLEARLY cannot choose school A without seeing school B.

Right I didn't say it was always granted, but it's another option to look into.

That's really lame the ASW is after the deposit deadline.  Might as well be an "attending student weekend" not admitted.

The ASW is for another school.  Still lame, but that's just how the dates fall.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

Poetgirl80

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
Right... School A's DDL is 4/1. I've already checked them out, and they look good... but not completely sold yet. School B's DDL is 4/15. I was trying to get School A to cut me some slack so I could check out School B 1st, but no cigar. Guess I'll have to break the cardinal rule and put deposits down at both (potentially).

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »

And I get mad when schools defer or waitlist me.  They've had time to make the decision.  Tough.

Neither side is in love with the process.  It is what it is.  They're trying to get their best class, we're trying to get our best school.

If they don't clearly state this when they admit you, you have no obligation to not cross-deposit.

Students getting wait-listed is a matter completely different from students submitting multiple deposits.  WL'ed applicants have their applications judged on by ad-coms fully, it's just that there is no room for those applicants.  Really, a WL is much better than a rejection.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:09 PM »

Students getting wait-listed is a matter completely different from students submitting multiple deposits.  WL'ed applicants have their applications judged on by ad-coms fully, it's just that there is no room for those applicants.  Really, a WL is much better than a rejection.

And getting one of multiple deposits is much better than getting no deposit at all.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »

What do you mean "judged-by"?

I mean that ad-coms make a full assessment of an applicant by the time they waitlist him or her.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »

What do you mean "judged-by"?

I mean that ad-coms make a full assessment of an applicant by the time they waitlist him or her.

And I may have made a full judgement of the school, but not know if the other school is going to come through on money.

Also, we've been discussing this as if it were simply a matter of preference when someone may need to deposit at two schools because their spouse doesn't know what what  opportunities are available in that area or if their house will sell or any of many other real world circumstances.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
I actually spoke with a dean of admissions and asked him about the waitlist. He said that some years they have taken zero people off the waitlist and other years they have taken off as many as 40. Then he told me about a new policy that LSAC has instituted in which they tell schools the names of applicants who have double deposited.

He said that in their acceptance package it says that people who put down multiple deposits will have their acceptance reneged. And it makes perfect sense why this is the case.

The whole purpose is to ensure that both students and schools can make decisions quicker. It forces the student who has been ADMITTED (waitlist doesn't matter, you don't need to put a deposit down yet), to decide quicker, which enables schools to make a more exact waitlist. It will also help schools notify waitlisted people sooner because they will have more exact numbers about who will be attending based on deposits. It has nothing to do with what is ethical or not, it has to do with what is more efficient.

The new program will make students and schools make decisions quicker. It will benefit all.
Paid the seat deposit at DU