Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Multiple Seat Deposits?  (Read 10060 times)

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Seat Deposits?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 03:17:55 PM »
OK JeNeSaisLaw... This was not meant to spark a debate about what is unethical, its in response to the OP being worried that schools that he/she hasnt heard from will see that he/she has sent in a deposit to another school (with the hint of worry that this could affect the pending decision... an assumption of course). My point was that schools that hold off on giving you a response expect you to do this.

Again, its an opinion. Which is what these boards are for. If you need to make a deposit at multiple schools to make good decisions, thats fine for you. My point was that other people are waiting to do their "good decision making" based on you. Take it as you will.
Harvard Law 2011

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »
I dont think this information is saying that you cannot put in a seat deposit while waiting to hear from other schools... if that was the case, deferals and WL's wouldnt be ethical either... what the comment is saying is that its not right to send in 3 deposits to 3 schools that you have already been accepted to-- and I have to say here that I agree with this. There are people waiting for answers based on those deposits.

Also, schools expect you to put a deposit in at another institution if they are delaying an answer until after April 15-30th. Harvard and Penn's Deferal/WL emails both say to do just that to hold a spot at another school. But sending in multiple deposits? I don't think thats right. Withdraw from one, then send in another if you are fortunate enough to get into a school that you would rather go to.

That's entirely inconsistent. The conclusion that the behavior is unethical is based on the consequence that "there are people waiting for answers based on those deposits." If that's the case, putting in a deposit at a school while not withdrawing from all other schools you've been accepted to, waitlisted at, or deferred for a later decision is also unethical because other people are waiting on the seat you aren't sure about at the school you've deposited.

In any case, I do not think it is unethical to put deposits in to any school you are seriously considering. Why should I sacrifice good decision making for somebody else? This is a necessarily self-interested process.

I don't think it's ethical/unethical.  I think it has to do with the individuals' situation.  For MOST applicants, putting down three deposits is absurd.
[/b]

Agreed-- my point exactly. Not at all meant to be a debate about ethical/unethical, simply saying that your actions affect when/how other people can make decisions at this critical point (Defer/WL responses...)  With a valid reason, its understood.

And, coming from someone who is on 1 waitlist in particular that I would absolutely love to go to, you can see where my viewpoint comes from.
Harvard Law 2011

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
Regardless of the ethics, I think we can all agree that this whole process is really frustrating.  I have to put a seat deposit down on a great school 1000 miles away because the schools in the market I want to work in are dragging their feet.  I went complete in december.  I see no reason for these schools to take so long, especially if I'm an auto-reject.

scholar321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
To be clear:  putting down multiple seat deposits down is frowned upon, but not discouraged necessarily.  Of course if a school has admitted you they want you to attend - not put down a deposit until you can weigh your options.  However, they recognize that MANY students do this.  In fact, LSAC gives all schools a cross list of deposits.  Withdrawing from schools is simply a COURTESY you can extend your fellow applicants (to open up spots) and law schools (so they can better assess the incoming class), but it is not required and everyone, including law schools, recognize not withdrawing or putting down multiple deposits is part of the strategy.  They are stategizing as well, this includes their waitlists and deferrals.  Yeah it's stringing you along to put you on a waitlist, and it sucks for the waitlisted applicant, but we all have to recognize that schools need insurance for their incoming class, because other students may be putting down multiple deposits, for example and fooling them.  Schools who waitlist people recognize and encourage these students to put down a deposit at a school they would be willing to attend and not to wait on them.

This is the necessary game we are ALL playing.  I certainly wouldn't recommend putting down multiple deposits unless you have a reason.  I know one LSD user put down two so that her husband could have two job markets to find a job in.  That makes sense, for example.  But doing it to play more senseless games doesn't.  Make a decision out of the schools that have accepted you which one you like best, withdraw from the others, put down a deposit and stay on your waitlists if you must, but withdraw from them when need be.  It's tough committing, but eventually law schools and applicants have to make decisions or this process will never be complete.

Thank you Cosmo for your input.

FYI, the letter that I quoted was sent by an institution that probably does accept ALOT of students that end up attending other schools  (a TTT in a major city).  As such they are probably more inclined to discourage those students that might put a deposit down while they have little to no intent to attend.

Anyway, I understand and agree that it seems to be good form to place a single deposit at the most desireable/generous school that you have been admitted to.  HOWEVER, I have been admitted to two schools that I am seriously considering attending, one of which has offered me a partial scholarship and the the other of which has offered me a full scholoarship.  I am compelled to reserve a spot at each one and to try to get a larger scholarship at the partial scholarship school.   I also have 2 applications pending at higher ranking schools . . .

What to do?

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
To be clear:  putting down multiple seat deposits down is frowned upon, but not discouraged necessarily.  Of course if a school has admitted you they want you to attend - not put down a deposit until you can weigh your options.  However, they recognize that MANY students do this.  In fact, LSAC gives all schools a cross list of deposits.  Withdrawing from schools is simply a COURTESY you can extend your fellow applicants (to open up spots) and law schools (so they can better assess the incoming class), but it is not required and everyone, including law schools, recognize not withdrawing or putting down multiple deposits is part of the strategy.  They are stategizing as well, this includes their waitlists and deferrals.  Yeah it's stringing you along to put you on a waitlist, and it sucks for the waitlisted applicant, but we all have to recognize that schools need insurance for their incoming class, because other students may be putting down multiple deposits, for example and fooling them.  Schools who waitlist people recognize and encourage these students to put down a deposit at a school they would be willing to attend and not to wait on them.

This is the necessary game we are ALL playing.  I certainly wouldn't recommend putting down multiple deposits unless you have a reason.  I know one LSD user put down two so that her husband could have two job markets to find a job in.  That makes sense, for example.  But doing it to play more senseless games doesn't.  Make a decision out of the schools that have accepted you which one you like best, withdraw from the others, put down a deposit and stay on your waitlists if you must, but withdraw from them when need be.  It's tough committing, but eventually law schools and applicants have to make decisions or this process will never be complete.

Thank you Cosmo for your input.

FYI, the letter that I quoted was sent by an institution that probably does accept ALOT of students that end up attending other schools  (a TTT in a major city).  As such they are probably more inclined to discourage those students that might put a deposit down while they have little to no intent to attend.

Anyway, I understand and agree that it seems to be good form to place a single deposit at the most desireable/generous school that you have been admitted to.  HOWEVER, I have been admitted to two schools that I am seriously considering attending, one of which has offered me a partial scholarship and the the other of which has offered me a full scholoarship.  I am compelled to reserve a spot at each one and to try to get a larger scholarship at the partial scholarship school.   I also have 2 applications pending at higher ranking schools . . .

What to do?

Have you visited the two schools yet? When are the deposits due for each? With the schools you haven't heard from yet, don't worry. Again, they will be expecting you to reserve a seat elsewhere... Im in the same boat. Two schools havent gotten back to me that I applied to/ went complete at in November (no deferals or WL's, just no response...), Im deferred at 2, WL-ed at 3. BUT, I think if you can get to the two schools you are seriously considering going to within the next month or so, that will help the decision making process for you.

In addition, I've spoken with several people who chose to go to the higher ranking/ lower scholarship offer school within the last couple months (all my friends are in law school right now), and they say they wouldnt have changed their decision for more money. You can pay off loans within 5-10 years... the degree you get will be with you forever, so dont let money be the deciding factor. Again, just so we're clear, this is my opinion...
Harvard Law 2011

KidA23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »
I know schools are aware of which schools their admits co-deposit for. When I was at Vandy's ASD last week one of their admins said 5 years ago the school they shared the highest number of co-depositors with was Emory, and now it's Cornell. THey took that as a good sign, but certainly didn't seem offended or aghast that applicants do this. I still haven't heard from UVA and I'll be darned if I don't put down a deposit at another school before 4/1.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 03:44:47 PM »
Schools do not like this.  I talked to a BC ad-com about this, and he said that it makes him really mad when students do that.  Applicants have sufficient time to decide on what school they wish to attend before deposits are due, and if this is not the case, an applicant can ask for an extension.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
A school that you're pending a decision at shouldn't know because that's not a cross deposit.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

scholar321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
Wow, you guys are awesome!!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Last Q, is it considered bad form to ask a school to match another school's offer when that other school has offered more money AND is a bit lower ranked??

Also,  does one ever run the risk of having a scholarship offere rescinded based on practices such as negotioning for money?

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
It depends on the school... and if you decide to do that, you need to be very careful about how you go about it. ALSO dont bother if its not a "peer' institution (aka with 10 ranks)

I tried myself-- called a school and said "you are my top choice (legitimately), and I would love to attend your school, but money will definitely factor into my decision. I've received substantial aid from X-School, and I'm wondering if the Financial Aid committee can take that into account when determining what, if any, aid i will receive". The admissions person said they do that all the time and would be glad to take a look-- I faxed in my other awards, and they reviewed them, but it did no good... still no money. sigh.

Harvard Law 2011