Law School Discussion

Multiple Seat Deposits?

Multiple Seat Deposits?
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
Hello all,

It seems that this cycle marks the first time that law schools are being notified by LSAC regarding the number of seat deposits that have been placed by applicants.

This from a recent admissions letter I received: (the bolded part is just bad grammar)

"Please do not submit deposits to more than one law school without withdrawing your commitment to those schools you do not plan to attend.  Some applicants submit deposits to more than one school to give themselves additional time to decide where they will attend.  This prevents another qualified and interested candidate from the opportunity to study at the school of his or her choice. Many law schools, Including [LAW SCHOOL X] consider this to be unethicial behavior for someone about to enter professional school.  Law School Admissions Council will notify affected law schools of the names of all candidates who have submitte more than one deposit.  [LAW SCHOOL X] will immediately notify any such person that we have been notified and we shall require verified and immediate withdrawal of all but one deposit.  Failure to comply may result in our withdrawing your deposit without the possibility of a refund.

What are we to make of this?  I have 3 acceptances with scholarships (with deposit deadlines of April 1st) and 2 schools pending . . . will those schools that have not yet decided be notified that I have already placed a deposit?? If so this seems to be a major change from previous admissions cycles.

Does this mean that I should not place a deposit at multiple schools? I was under the impression that that is exacltly what most applicants do while they decide where to go/ask for more money/try to get off a WL.

Anyone have some input on this??

Re: Multiple Seat Deposits?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
wtf?

I don't want to be too skeptical, but can anybody else verify this?

AmericasTeam

• Getcha Popcorn Ready
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »
This is ridiculous- this can't be true- it was my plan to do the same thing as I have the same dilemma. It seems unfair to prohibit multiple seat deposits. That is, if we are forced to wait FOREVER to hear from law schools, and particularly our top choices, it should be allowed to keep your seat at other schools without committing to go there (but of course paying up). If they want to prohibit this, then we should be able to call the schools we are waiting on and ask them to make a decision by April 1. Period. end of story.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
LSAC informing schools about the number of seat deposits requires all schools complying and automatically telling LSAC so that LSAC can tell everybody else.  I can't imagine a) this happening without anybody else hearing it or being told it and b) that LSAC wouldn't require a uniform deposit date to give a school the ability to see this information about # of deposits.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
Hello all,

It seems that this cycle marks the first time that law schools are being notified by LSAC regarding the number of seat deposits that have been placed by applicants.

This from a recent admissions letter I received: (the bolded part is just bad grammar)

"Please do not submit deposits to more than one law school without withdrawing your commitment to those schools you do not plan to attend.  Some applicants submit deposits to more than one school to give themselves additional time to decide where they will attend.  This prevents another qualified and interested candidate from the opportunity to study at the school of his or her choice. Many law schools, Including [LAW SCHOOL X] consider this to be unethicial behavior for someone about to enter professional school.  Law School Admissions Council will notify affected law schools of the names of all candidates who have submitte more than one deposit.  [LAW SCHOOL X] will immediately notify any such person that we have been notified and we shall require verified and immediate withdrawal of all but one deposit.  Failure to comply may result in our withdrawing your deposit without the possibility of a refund.

What are we to make of this?  I have 3 acceptances with scholarships (with deposit deadlines of April 1st) and 2 schools pending . . . will those schools that have not yet decided be notified that I have already placed a deposit?? If so this seems to be a major change from previous admissions cycles.

Does this mean that I should not place a deposit at multiple schools? I was under the impression that that is exacltly what most applicants do while they decide where to go/ask for more money/try to get off a WL.

Anyone have some input on this??

this is not true.  ONE seat deposit basically means commitment to attend.  there is a reason why it is called seat deposit and not commitment to attend.

3-Elle

• I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
That is so strange. When I got my Emory acceptance, their deposit form even includes a space to say "I am tentatively deciding to attend Emory but I have put down deposits at ______ schools"

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »
I dont think this information is saying that you cannot put in a seat deposit while waiting to hear from other schools... if that was the case, deferals and WL's wouldnt be ethical either... what the comment is saying is that its not right to send in 3 deposits to 3 schools that you have already been accepted to-- and I have to say here that I agree with this. There are people waiting for answers based on those deposits.

Also, schools expect you to put a deposit in at another institution if they are delaying an answer until after April 15-30th. Harvard and Penn's Deferal/WL emails both say to do just that to hold a spot at another school. But sending in multiple deposits? I don't think thats right. Withdraw from one, then send in another if you are fortunate enough to get into a school that you would rather go to.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
I dont think this information is saying that you cannot put in a seat deposit while waiting to hear from other schools... if that was the case, deferals and WL's wouldnt be ethical either... what the comment is saying is that its not right to send in 3 deposits to 3 schools that you have already been accepted to-- and I have to say here that I agree with this. There are people waiting for answers based on those deposits.

Also, schools expect you to put a deposit in at another institution if they are delaying an answer until after April 15-30th. Harvard and Penn's Deferal/WL emails both say to do just that to hold a spot at another school. But sending in multiple deposits? I don't think thats right. Withdraw from one, then send in another if you are fortunate enough to get into a school that you would rather go to.

That's entirely inconsistent. The conclusion that the behavior is unethical is based on the consequence that "there are people waiting for answers based on those deposits." If that's the case, putting in a deposit at a school while not withdrawing from all other schools you've been accepted to, waitlisted at, or deferred for a later decision is also unethical because other people are waiting on the seat you aren't sure about at the school you've deposited.

In any case, I do not think it is unethical to put deposits in to any school you are seriously considering. Why should I sacrifice good decision making for somebody else? This is a necessarily self-interested process.

3-Elle

• I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »

But what if you don't even hear about financial aid packages until after the deposit deadlines? It's extremely difficult to decide before you know all the information if you have been accepted to multiple schools you want to attend.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »
I don't doubt that LSAC has notified schools about deposits in the past, but doesn't that mean that any school where you are still pending might recieve this information and be influenced to reject/WL you?

Regardless, this idea that having two deposits is bad is news to me.  WTH??