Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Miami Award Letters  (Read 757 times)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
Miami Award Letters
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »
Has anyone gotten theirs yet  ???  ?

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Award Letters
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:05:08 PM »
General, or a particular scholly?

No to both for me.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »

Do you mean your financial aid package "award" letter, or a scholarship letter?

Normally scholarship letters come within three weeks of being accepted, according to materials I received when I was accepted.

(I received nothing, but I emailed them and received $23,000/yr.!)

I have not received a fin. aid letter detailing my eligibility for loans, etc. 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »

Do you mean your financial aid package "award" letter, or a scholarship letter?

Normally scholarship letters come within three weeks of being accepted, according to materials I received when I was accepted.

(I received nothing, but I emailed them and received $23,000/yr.!)

I have not received a fin. aid letter detailing my eligibility for loans, etc. 

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
Yea sorry I meant my financial aid award letter...The website says they start sending them out in March.  I didn't get any scholly money so I'm really eager to figure out how I'm going to pay for all of this  :-\

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
Yea sorry I meant my financial aid award letter...The website says they start sending them out in March.  I didn't get any scholly money so I'm really eager to figure out how I'm going to pay for all of this  :-\

That stinks.   :'(

I didn't get my fin. aid award letter either. 

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
On an only semi-related note:  On the suggestion of Unbiased, I also emailed the admissions office inquiring as to a scholarship but was told that I had NOT been selected for one.  I imagine that a lot of people (or at least some) who were awarded scholarships won't attend Miami....could I contact them again and ask them to reconsider since I'm for sure attending?  I don't know how kosher (or successful) that would be since I've already contacted them once.

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »
Can someone clear something up for me.  I also applied for fin aid via FAFSA and my award letter will be arriving.  Will they be responding with a grant (free money) or a loan?  Is everything to be paid back?  If it is only loans, what kind of interest are we talking?  Thanks hurricanes :)

etmerian

• Sr. Citizen
  • UM '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
Can someone clear something up for me.  I also applied for fin aid via FAFSA and my award letter will be arriving.  Will they be responding with a grant (free money) or a loan?  Is everything to be paid back?  If it is only loans, what kind of interest are we talking?  Thanks hurricanes :)

My understanding is that the award letter we're all waiting for is out loan eligibility.  Since they use Sallie Mae as their lender, they actually start the process for you based on what you're eligible for.  For example, they may not give you the full 8,500 or whatever in Subsidized Stafford Loans.  I think if you didn't get a scholarship letter then you don't get any "free money".  I realize it's super early but that's just my personality - I like to know what I'm working with.

billymahogany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
On an only semi-related note:  On the suggestion of Unbiased, I also emailed the admissions office inquiring as to a scholarship but was told that I had NOT been selected for one.  I imagine that a lot of people (or at least some) who were awarded scholarships won't attend Miami....could I contact them again and ask them to reconsider since I'm for sure attending?  I don't know how kosher (or successful) that would be since I've already contacted them once.

Keep in mind they offer X number of scholarships knowing that most will not take them and instead matriculate at other schools.
In:  UF, Tulane, FSU($), Miami($$$), Stetson, Oregon($)
Out: Washington and Lee
W/L: Arizona
Decision: UF c/o 2011!