Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SLU vs. LSU ($$) vs. Marquette vs. Northeastern  (Read 1731 times)

miljl1

• AOL Instant Messenger - redblackfire
    • View Profile
    • Email
SLU vs. LSU ($$) vs. Marquette vs. Northeastern
« on: March 18, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »
I need some advice, and since my first post didn't attract any replies, I though I'd change the title and hopefully get more interest. First, schools I've gotten in to: New England School of Law (safety), Marquette, Saint Louis U, Hofstra, Northeastern and LSU. I'm still waiting to hear from Baylor and U Houston. My only hope is that I receive some kind of decision from those schools before LSU's April 1 seat deposit deadline. (I was rejected from Berkeley, U Texas, and Hastings.)

Anyway, if we forget about the ones I am waiting on, any suggestions? Marquette, LSU, and SLU are all in the same ballpark ranking wise. Northeastern is the highest ranked school I've been admitted to. I got $ from LSU and waiting to hear from the others. I'm positive I'm not going to NESL, even if they are offering $25k a year. Hofstra is out because of location and the job market in that area...that and I've heard bad things about their program.

If you guys had to choose between LSU, SLU, Northeastern and Marquette, what would you guys say?

I guess I should include why I am considering each school. First, I am not looking to go into Big Law. Probably public interest or constitutional/human rights law...don't mind if I am not making 100k a year or whatever.

Northeastern - Very good for public interest stuff, from what I understand. I've looked into the coop thing and it is a little odd, but could be good. I don't think transferring to a tier 1 would be possible if I go there because of their grading and all. Boston is nice, too...but I'd guess really competitive with BU, Harvard, etc.

Saint Louis U - From what I understand, they are adding a new building to the law school. It seems like they have a great school and since WUSL students tend to leave, SLU students have a good chance in the SL job market.

Marquette - People keep saying it is in a bad part of town or whatever. That isn't a factor for me. I am finishing up my undergrad in Memphis, so I'm used to having guns pulled on me when I cut people off. (True story.) I also know you can go straight into practice in WI after graduation. I don't know how likely it is I would want to stay in WI after law school. Perhaps...but haven't heard much about the actual school other than they have a good sports law program.

LSU - The only thing I've been able to find from this board and similar ones is the extra semester common law program is mandatory. Any comments on the school itself? I've actually visited Baton Rouge (for New Years, so not the law school) and the campus is pretty nice. I've also heard that the focus on common law and everything detracts from the overall experience, especially if you want to practice somewhere else.

Either way, I'm coming from a small private liberal arts school, so it is gonna be a big change going to a larger university. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Saint Louis University School of Law Class of 2011

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SLU vs. LSU ($$) vs. Marquette vs. Northeastern
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

If you guys had to choose between LSU, SLU, Northeastern and Marquette, what would you guys say?

I guess I should include why I am considering each school. First, I am not looking to go into Big Law. Probably public interest or constitutional/human rights law...don't mind if I am not making 100k a year or whatever.

Saint Louis U - From what I understand, they are adding a new building to the law school. It seems like they have a great school and since WUSL students tend to leave, SLU students have a good chance in the SL job market.

I guess I'm qualified to give some insight into SLU, as I've hung out with their law students for the past handful of years through mutual friends.  I'm not sure about a new building, but I have sat in on a couple classes in the current building, and from what I can tell it's a pretty nice place to hang your hat.

I'm sure you know that Health Law is their big thing, so much so that almost every kid I know that's gone/goes there considers it for a career.  If you want to practice in St. L, it is definitely a good place to go.  There are so many connections in the city that if you do well in your classes, you'll have a job, no sweat.  Chicago firms even recruit the top students, and I have a friend that works for the mayor in a large east coast city.  So I suggest visiting the city (and steer clear of Union Station, it's empty) and checking out a few of the attractions- City Museum, the Landing,  a Cardinals game, the zoo, etc..

Good luck in your choice:)
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
I was just accepted to SLU, which has been my top choice for a little while now for a number of reasons. I am pending at Marquette and Northeastern as well so I think we have a somewhat similar situation. Here's my take on it:

SLU- they are either adding a new building or renovating the old one. Either way, it's not supposed to be done until what would be our last year. I really like SLU a lot because it's a respectable school and places really well in Kansas City and St. Louis. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, the legal market in both of these cities is fairly significant (not as far behind Chicago as some would like to think).

Additionally, St. Louis is a pretty neat place to live, especially in your late twenties/early thirties.

Marquette- I've heard the same thing about the area (from someone who used to live there) but I have a friend who is finishing up 1L there and he really likes it. It's true you wouldn't have to take the bar if you want to stay in Wisconsin, but that's assuming that you can find a job competing with UW-Madison grads for work in Milwaukee.

Northeastern- Their job placement is really very good considering all the schools in Boston and New England, but the reason for this is the Co-op program. What's likely occurring is the students at Northeastern are finding jobs at the firms that they have done Co-ops with. This is good in the sense that you will get a lot of experience and have a good shot with a respectable firm in Boston, but bad in the sense that you don't have grades to show other firms if you want to go somewhere else. And you're right about the lack of grades regarding transferring as well- what happens if you hate it there??

I can't speak to the other schools (or honestly, the ones I've already spoken to) but these are just a few of the thoughts I had. Let me know if you have any questions about SLU (I know a decent amount about it).

HTH.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

miljl1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
Thanks guys, good to hear from people who aren't saying things like "Don't go to a school that isn't a T1 or else you'll never get a job.." etc.

I just got an e-mail back from the admissions office at UH. They basically said I'd have a decision either early or mid April, which means I might have to just put down a deposit somewhere else and see if they come through. If not, I'll have a seat reserved somewhere else. If I do get accepted, then I can make a decision between one of my choices now and UH.

Is that an okay thing to do? (To withdraw acceptance after paying the initial deposit?)

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
Those are all highly regional schools that will only place in their regions. Therefore you should be choosing based on the geographic region in which you want to practice. It will be very difficult to get to Boston from LSU, to Milwaukee from SLU, St. Louis from Marquette, etc.

Not to say that it cannot be done, but it will take legwork on your part and won't be coming from OCI or the likes.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
Thanks guys, good to hear from people who aren't saying things like "Don't go to a school that isn't a T1 or else you'll never get a job.." etc.

I just got an e-mail back from the admissions office at UH. They basically said I'd have a decision either early or mid April, which means I might have to just put down a deposit somewhere else and see if they come through. If not, I'll have a seat reserved somewhere else. If I do get accepted, then I can make a decision between one of my choices now and UH.

Is that an okay thing to do? (To withdraw acceptance after paying the initial deposit?)

That should be ok. I'll likely be doing the same thing. One nice thing about SLU is the deposit is not very much.
Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »
Those are all highly regional schools that will only place in their regions. Therefore you should be choosing based on the geographic region in which you want to practice. It will be very difficult to get to Boston from LSU, to Milwaukee from SLU, St. Louis from Marquette, etc.

Not to say that it cannot be done, but it will take legwork on your part and won't be coming from OCI or the likes.

Some people just don't know (or sometimes don't care) where they will be working. These are regional schools in the sense that it is much easier to get a job in the region and most people go that route, but if you really want to be somewhere else there will be opportunities available.

It might take some hard work, but I think most of the people going to law school shouldn't have a problem with that.

Kingdom of Lizards

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:21:57 PM »
Sorry- I saw it. Was just trying to alleviate some of the worry that a lot of Tier 2/Tier 3 people develop from reading these boards where it seems like everyone is pissed they got waitlisted at Yale and are disappointed they only got half tuition from GULC.

Kingdom of Lizards

miljl1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »
blobstah!, do you know how long it took SLU to contact you about money? I received their acceptance package about 2 weeks ago, but nothing on money yet. (Same with Marquette.)