Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vandy need-based $  (Read 1460 times)

Betsy 1

• View Profile
Vandy need-based $
« on: March 18, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
So, I'm STILL waiting and desperate to hear from Vandy on this front, although i turned in my info by the preferred deadline.  They offered me a great scholarship, and I want to go, but I need some more help to choose it over Michigan's aid (need-based + small scholarship).  So, anybody that's already received word, let me know if you can.  On this thread or PM me with how much they offered grant-wise (or if they offered zilch when you were expecting something) and if possible your basic financial situation.  Thanks to everyone willing to share this info, it will really  help having a basic idea of what to expect.

missladytwine

• View Profile
Re: Vandy need-based $
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
I was offered $3k a year in need-based aid. To give you some perspective, I'm a working journalist, married to a working journalist, so I was surprised I got even this much. According to the FAFSA, by contribution is something like $29k. Journalism does not pay well. That figure is insane.

Good luck!

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
I haven't heard anything need-based from them either. missladytwine, when did you hear?
UVA Law Class of 2011

missladytwine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:34 AM »
I heard a few weeks ago. I submitted my FAFSA the first week of February, as soon as my husband and I had our w2s. I also got a merit offer. The need-based award was in a separate envelope but came the same day.

stoney732

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:34:40 PM »
Yeah, I got a need-based offer the same day I got the merit-based offer (in separate envelope)...sometime in late Feb/early March.  I submitted my FAFSA/PROFILE/Need Access stuff in early Feb.  Same thing as missladytwine...a surprising $3K/yr. grant, even though my expected contribution was rather high (higher, of course, than I would like).
Vanderbilt Law Class of 2011

viv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:41:04 AM »
I filed the FAFSA mid-Feb and Need Access March 1 (I don't even remember now if Vandy uses Need Access).  A need-based scholarship letter was sent to me March 12.

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 11:04:35 AM »
So, I'm STILL waiting and desperate to hear from Vandy on this front, although i turned in my info by the preferred deadline.  They offered me a great scholarship, and I want to go, but I need some more help to choose it over Michigan's aid (need-based + small scholarship).  So, anybody that's already received word, let me know if you can.  On this thread or PM me with how much they offered grant-wise (or if they offered zilch when you were expecting something) and if possible your basic financial situation.  Thanks to everyone willing to share this info, it will really  help having a basic idea of what to expect.

I sent the FAFSA and Need Access App in January (I think the priority deadline was Feb.1).  They offered me $5k a year in a letter dated March 5.  I was shocked since I make a decent amount of money and live in the North-East.  The letter came along with their merit aid offer.