Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which order to read these books?  (Read 2810 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Which order to read these books?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
Read Helter Skelter, and Outrage by Bulgiosi, and then A Civil Action by Harr.  Way more enjoyable.

HELTER SKELTER IS SO GOOD. I'm trashy like that though and pretty much like all true crime. But I think it's the best of the genre.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
Read Helter Skelter, and Outrage by Bulgiosi, and then A Civil Action by Harr.  Way more enjoyable.

HELTER SKELTER IS SO GOOD. I'm trashy like that though and pretty much like all true crime. But I think it's the best of the genre.

Outrage is his book on the OJ trial, and he is scathing, on Simpson but moreso on both the prosecution and the defense.  Its basically Outrage: How NOT to be a trial lawyer.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 05:56:06 PM »
Do you know of any books that can help you decide what type of law you want to practice?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 07:29:10 PM »

Outrage is his book on the OJ trial, and he is scathing, on Simpson but moreso on both the prosecution and the defense.  Its basically Outrage: How NOT to be a trial lawyer.

I read his one on Bush v. Gore. THAT was awesome. Although thinking about that "case" makes me tear up, still, eight years later. Those fuckers.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

anzianomike

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 02:01:52 PM »
Honest question - What does it mean to say that a professor might teach a subject differently than you learn it by reading on your own? I mean, something like the duty-breach-causation-damages thing is true of all torts, no matter who's teaching it, right? I haven't read much but I have the Examples and Explanations series on the first year courses and I'm buzzing through them. If I go in with the knowledge that I might misunderstand some stuff, isn't it worth the effort just to get a good overview of what we'll be talking about? And I'm not okay with those really brief overviews that any high school kid could understand. I want to really think about this stuff for a while. Will my professor's ideas  vary so widely from what these other professors are writing that this is a good reason not to study before school? Please explain. Thanks

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

I read his one on Bush v. Gore. THAT was awesome. Although thinking about that "case" makes me tear up, still, eight years later. Those fuckers.

Name of Book?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 04:17:10 PM »
Honest question - What does it mean to say that a professor might teach a subject differently than you learn it by reading on your own? I mean, something like the duty-breach-causation-damages thing is true of all torts, no matter who's teaching it, right? I haven't read much but I have the Examples and Explanations series on the first year courses and I'm buzzing through them. If I go in with the knowledge that I might misunderstand some stuff, isn't it worth the effort just to get a good overview of what we'll be talking about? And I'm not okay with those really brief overviews that any high school kid could understand. I want to really think about this stuff for a while. Will my professor's ideas  vary so widely from what these other professors are writing that this is a good reason not to study before school? Please explain. Thanks

There's no way your prof is going to cover everything that's in an E&E or hornbook. Professors pick & choose what to cover and how much emphasis to give everything. For Example, Glannon gives a whole chapter to something my Civ Pro text covers in a footnote. I'm not going to spend my time reading over a chapter full of material that's not going to be on the exam. There's too much material to deal with to concern yourself with things that won't be tested. Plus, if you read it 6 months in advance, you're going to have to go back and re-read anyway

Sure, some of it may be on the bar, but I'll let the bar prep people tell me what I need to learn when the time comes; maybe I'll keep the E&Es around and refer to them when I'm studying for it.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »

Name of Book?

The Betrayal of America, I believe.

As far as how much a prof can stray from your hornbook, I will simply say that my torts professor never spoke about duty-breach-causation-damages. It was in the first reading (which was the Lexis outline of Torts, actually), he gave us a quiz, and after that he did what he felt like. If you still want to read it, fine, but it's not going to help you more than waiting for class to happen and then going to office hours if you're still confused.
This sig kills fascists.

ulpian246

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 03:52:03 PM »
I really enjoyed Levi's "Intro to Legal Reasoning."  It's a dense read that might take a while (especially for such a little book), but if nothing else, it has a great discussion on the evolution of the Mann Act that will help you sound like a pro talking about Elliot Spitzer.  I'd also recommend Cardozo's "The Nature of the Judicial Process," and if you are really ambitious, Holmes's "The Common Law."  As far as fiction goes, I'd give a big second to "A Civil Action," and if you have the time, "Bleak House" is a great depressing yet sappy victorian legal thriller.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
I never found those "how to" books any useful. If you want to read, just buy something that will focus on actual school subjects like contracts, civ pro etc.