Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When do students usually decide on an emphasis?  (Read 310 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
When do students usually decide on an emphasis?
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Do most students know what kind of law they want to practice by the end of the first year?
Do you know of any resources that could help me narrow it down?
I'm planning on going into corporate law, but I don't want to miss out on opportunities in other areas.

There are a few more specific fields I'd be really interested in, but I don't know if there is any demand.

Lobstah!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lobster is murder.
    • View Profile
    • If I only had a brain...
Re: When do students usually decide on an emphasis?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:30 AM »
Do most students know what kind of law they want to practice by the end of the first year?
Do you know of any resources that could help me narrow it down?
I'm planning on going into corporate law, but I don't want to miss out on opportunities in other areas.

There are a few more specific fields I'd be really interested in, but I don't know if there is any demand.

You start taking electives during your second year. I think students generally take a few in different areas and start focusing in on what they are interested in from there. This is what I did in undergrad and it really worked out for me- gives you a well rounded education.

When it comes to law school and practicing law, it's even more beneficial. If you decide to go the firm route and get a 2L summer position, you will likely rotate through different practice areas so you can get a feel for what you like and don't like. If they give you an offer you'll then pick your top 2 or 3 areas (e.g., Employment Law, Loan Enforcement, M&A, etc.) and hone in on those your final year.

Corporate law is pretty broad, but it's not broad enough that you need to start narrowing it down now. Just focus on your core classes and figure it out later. There's plenty of time  :)

Don't think changing your avatar will make you safe.  I'll eat baby lobsters.  I'm not above that.

Kingdom of Lizards

montanawildhack

• View Profile
Re: When do students usually decide on an emphasis?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 01:25:45 AM »
I would say most of those who come in with engineering degrees pretty much know that they will wind up in IP.